Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
WOW! That's amazing work. I first thought you sneaked over to JustWhisper's house and took some more pictures of it. Most excellent!

I understand the difficulty of covering up all the pink. That second coat of Drylok helps a lot but you have to go close with a tiny brush to make sure. Even then, don't ever turn it upside down or something. That's when you really notice spots missed, LOL! The epitaph is the hardest because you need to scoop a lot of the Drylok out to keep it still visible so you end up with just a thin coat of Drylok. But, when you come in with the dark gray paint it's usually gets good coverage.

Again, fantastic. Are you going to do the seaweed later? Not a biggie. It will just add some color. But, if you want a somber, spooky graveyard then it's not necessary.
I have been looking for some of the "seaweed" at the different craft places but have yet to find what I'm looking for.
I did find some clumps of short grass I was thinking of adding to make it look like it was growing out of the base on the right side and behind the shell on the left.
Still thinking about that one tho.

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
I have been looking for some of the "seaweed" at the different craft places but have yet to find what I'm looking for.
I did find some clumps of short grass I was thinking of adding to make it look like it was growing out of the base on the right side and behind the shell on the left.
Still thinking about that one tho.

Pet stores like Petsmart, & PetCo carry seaweed, and other artificial aquatic plants. Really, any pet store that has a decent selection of aquarium supplies and critters, will offer it for sale. :)

Excellent work btw! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Raven

I would have never thought of looking there. I will be checking it out one night this week to see what I can find.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I was wondering how you shipped this without it getting damaged?
It's quite the endeavor. I fill gaps with bubble wrap. Wrap the entire stone now in bubble wrap. Then put some popcorn in a box and drop the stone in. Fill the rest of the box with popcorn so it's filled 102% (per UPS recommendation). Then... I get a slightly bigger box and fill that a bit with popcorn. Put the interior box in and fill 102% with popcorn.

Brace yourself - shipping is in the $70 to $80 range. You've also got to make sure you stay under UPS's oversized box perimeters or the shipping goes sky-high. That's why the stone is undersized.

Here's pictures of the interior box. Couldn't help decorating it ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Brace yourself - shipping is in the $70 to $80 range. You've also got to make sure you stay under UPS's oversized box perimeters or the shipping goes sky-high. That's why the stone is undersized.
WOW!
I was thinking of mailing a tombstone to my sister. She only lives 45 minutes away so I will be delivering it myself. Then I can tell my wife I saved 80 dollars and I should be able to use the savings to buy more supplies!!! Yess!! Thanks Terra. I owe you one

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Cool! The first year I mailed a stone - almost died from the shock. What made it worse was I was mailing two to two different locations. Was apologizing all over myself to the hubby and swore I'd find a cheaper way. He was so sweet about it.

For anyone else considering shipping a stone... info for you to avoid the shocking pain at the UPS Store in front of witnesses: :eek:

You can shave off the price of shipping if you can find boxes that are the perfect fit. When you get up to the larger sizes every additional inch adds about $8 to the cost. The only outside box I could find was 3" too long so was paying $24 more than needed. It was 36x22x21. The good news is that you could put up to 101# of weight in it, heheh. You could also shave shipping costs by forgoing the second box. It's probably overkill anyway. Oh, another thing: it's really hard to find boxes this big. The UPS Store sells them but they aren't cheap either. That 36x22x20 box was $24!

Here's box sizes and their rates (UPS as of 9/11):
30x18x17: $43 (56# billable weight)
32x19x18: $48 (66# billable weight)
36x21x20: $70 (92# billable weight)
36x22x20: $78 (101# billable weight)

This is all calculated by going to UPS to calculate billable weight LxWxH (select Detailed Time & Cost): https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc?loc=en_US&fromAddressBook=null&toAddressBook=null&origCountry=US&origCity=&origPostal=66221&destCountry=US&destCity=&accNumIn=&destPostal=78628&customValue=null&currency=null&shipDate=2011-12-06&packages=1&accountNumber=&sameValue=&quoteselected=quickTimeCost&itsQuickquote=yes&packageLetter=package&destinationtype=02&origtype=02&container=02&modWeight=10&modLength=null&modWidth=null&modHeight=null&modDclValue=null&modDropOfChoice=DO&modPickUpMethod=null&modDailyPickUp=NO&modPickupAdded=&modifyClicked=true

The large package surcharge is an additional $50. To determine that take the length + girth (2 X width + 2 X height). If it exceeds 130" but doesn't exceed the max UPS size of 165" you get that charge also. Note: the UPS Store guys said UPS isn't doing that anymore but this is still on the UPS website.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Oh yeah, when UPS measures it, they will round up to the nearest inch. I had a 36x22x20 box. After filling it, it measured at the UPS store as 36x22x20 1/4. It wasn't really and I'm sure I could have fought that but honestly didn't remember the size of the original box at the time. They charged me for a box of 36x22x21. So, pre-measure the box before you go to UPS and fight 'em a bit if they are adding that extra inch. May save you a few bucks.

·
Registered
483 Posts
One other thing you can do when shipping tombstones, which I've done for secret reapers with the Ontario Haunters Club (now Canadian Haunters Association - shameless plug! ) :), is to not include the plywood base. I package up the finished stone much as Terra describes and include instructions for the reapee on diff. options for mounting the tombstone for display. I figure we're all haunters so it shouldn't be too difficult for them to handle. It really saves on the weight/cost.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
One other thing you can do when shipping tombstones, which I've done for secret reapers with the Ontario Haunters Club (now Canadian Haunters Association - shameless plug! ) :), is to not include the plywood base. I package up the finished stone much as Terra describes and include instructions for the reapee on diff. options for mounting the tombstone for display. I figure we're all haunters so it shouldn't be too difficult for them to handle. It really saves on the weight/cost.
That's a great tip on reducing the weight. There is a limit on the box size for when they determine the weight. Once the box gets over a certain size (irregardless of weight) they charge by the size of the box. Here is the formula they use to determine if your box falls under the weight charges or the size charges:

Determine the Dimensional Weight

Next, determine the package dimensions in inches. Multiply the package length by the width by the height. The result is the cubic size in inches. If the cubic size of the package in inches is 5,184 or larger, divide the cubic size by 166 to determine dimensional weight in pounds. If the cubic size in inches is less than 5,184, use the actual weight of the package.
Because the tombstone is light I have lots of extra weight I could put in the box. They call it billable weight. I could have put up to 101#. Doing the quick math the smallest box that can be used to fall under the weight determinations is 32x10x16. That would make a very small tombstone but doable.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Awesome Terra, you make the best Stones hands down. I love your vids. These pics were nice too, showed soem details the vid missed. Is it jsut me or did the stone seem much larger than it was? I was convinced this was a full sized stone, but it was a little more than 2 ft?

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Awesome Terra, you make the best Stones hands down. I love your vids. These pics were nice too, showed soem details the vid missed. Is it jsut me or did the stone seem much larger than it was? I was convinced this was a full sized stone, but it was a little more than 2 ft?
Yes it does seem bigger in the video. Guess it's like the camera adds pounds or something. Here's a good picture to help show that is indeed just over 2' tall. It's laying on my sitting workbench which is 24" deep:

Update: While I'm here thought I'd put up the other tombstone that was made at the same time. Hope to get the full build tutorial up here in the next few weeks:

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,337 Posts
STAND BACK N' PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR PARDNER!!! Now --- start clapping!! Yay Terra!! Another great stone for us all to try.
Watching your super fun video gave me ideas too! Howzabout dry locking a western hat and hang it over the corner of the stone - or at the base. Craft a fake bullet out of sculpy clay- paint it brass and stick it into the stone near one of the bullet holes. Or even one out the back. Also - might be able to get a little western pistol at the dollar store and dry lock that at the base. The "rope" lights certainly stylize a "lariat" look. Just another fantastic way to Terra-ize cemetery headstones! Here's lookin' at you kid! BOO!

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
STAND BACK N' PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR PARDNER!!! Now --- start clapping!! Yay Terra!! Another great stone for us all to try.
Watching your super fun video gave me ideas too! Howzabout dry locking a western hat and hang it over the corner of the stone - or at the base. Craft a fake bullet out of sculpy clay- paint it brass and stick it into the stone near one of the bullet holes. Or even one out the back. Also - might be able to get a little western pistol at the dollar store and dry lock that at the base. The "rope" lights certainly stylize a "lariat" look. Just another fantastic way to Terra-ize cemetery headstones! Here's lookin' at you kid! BOO!
Thank you and I agree about adding a hat. Kept going back and forth about whether to add one. The cool thing about the lights is that they should melt into the grass in the graveyard and the rope part of the lighting should be pretty hard to see. You should just get the effect of the uplighting.

Gorgeous! Terra =/= the Martha Stewart of haunting to the 5th power! :D *insert standing round of applause, & crowd cheers here*
heh. Thank you so much :)

Wonderful work on this stone Terra.
Loved making this one. Thank you so much.

I'm always impressed with your monster mud technique. It looks so much like stone. Very cool.
Thanks and I too love the monster mud. You get such a great effect for a minimal amount of work. Love those tricks!

UPDATE: I realized that in one picture I had the scale wrong (the picture with the tombstone layout on the pink foam). It's since been fixed. Sorry about that.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts