Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Sounds great, Max! I'm glad you came up with an easy way to attach a crank to it. I'll be interested to see how you do it if you're willing to share your secret. :)
The motor in the case looks great!
I've been trying out a different AC gear motor from Allelectronics on my Ouija Boards. If they pass the test, I'll post it on the Ouija thread.

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
If we don't share new ideals...the board dries up so any ideals I have that can help others I will always share even if I'm selling the same thing.

I will get to it this week. But it's simple, at least it is for my uses...

Breathing Grave
Turning a head back and forth
Ouija Board

Something that doesn't put a lot of weight on the motor. My crank is made from PVC (the thin type, not the schedule 40) The hole is already in the shaft so you on drill a small hole through the PVC and then put it over the shaft with the end butted up against the case and put a bolt through the PVC and the hole in the shaft.

A video will work better than I can describe :)

Plastic cases (project boxes) aren't cheap...when I was looking for them I was expecting $1, $1.50 at the most from China...nope the cheapest I found was $3.50.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Plastic cases (project boxes) aren't cheap...when I was looking for them I was expecting $1, $1.50 at the most from China...nope the cheapest I found was $3.50.
I discovered the same thing recently. There has to be somewhere out there that has them a lot cheaper. It's a little plastic box.

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
MadMax...I bought some of these motors when I saw your post that was reposted by DaveInTheGrave a while back. The motors seem to work very well but I havent actually put them in anything yet. I really would appreciate the tutorial you promised on the best way to attach the crank arm. The only way that I have come up with is to use 1/4" aluminum channel stock placed on the top of the drive spindle. Drill a hole through the alumnum channel stock and bolt the aluminum stock to the drive spindle through the hold provided in the drive spindle. Also, since most eveyone knows my motto of
"Never do anything for yourself that you can get someone else to do for you" I do believe that simply buying the motors from you that are already set up and in a nice box and ready to go might be my best option.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Just for the record, these are 12v DC 4-5 RPM vent motors made for Chrysler vehicles. So while not easy to find for sale online, there's always scavenging the local junkyards for them while hunting for wiper motors.

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
Dave this is the way I connect a crank to the motor.

I take a piece of 1/2 PVC (the yellow type it's smaller) and drill a hole through it

take a small bolt and run it through the hole and through the hole on the shalt and tighten

here's the type I use the tee is the white PVC we all use

I'm using a long piece of PVC but use as small or large as you need

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Yea, I've seen that motor and thought about buying it just to see how good it is. I would think it would have pretty good torque, since it's made for a vending machine.

Let us know how well it works after you check it out.

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
I thought someone already tested a few of the motors out and while good torque they made way too much noise. Of course what's too loud for one person might not be too loud for another. I believe that motor has a limit switch that will need to be removed if you want contentious rotation.

But it looks like it would be easy to tap threads into the yellow plastic piece

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm trying to make this prop this month, does anyone have a new source for the vent motors? Sold out or discontinued everywhere. ebay?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Anyone know if there is anywhere to still find these little gems? There was also another very similar motor that someone sold on here a couple of years ago, which I liked a little better. It seems both have vanished.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts