Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
I was going to order 10 but I played with the shipping app and I could get up to 12 before the shipping increased. So however many you're planning on buying, test the next few numbers up to lower the individual cost and get a few more.

Of course this all depends on your willpower to not go through the entire site... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think they get more in, if I remember right, they had 250 when I bought mine in June and I saw they had over 400 the other day.
But just in case, I ordered more.

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
They showed 5 in stock yesterday, ordered and got a cancellation notice today. I was hoping they had overlooked a few behind the sofa or inside the cat, but I guess not.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I ordered 12 from Electronic Goldmine last week when they were still on sale for $3.95.
I think they are back up to $7.99 now, but they run them on sale every couple of months or so.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think that this tutorial is great. I will be definitely ordering some of theses motors. I did however try to order on goldmine, sold out....and surplus center....also sold out...I did however find them here: http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm/subsection/18 Unfortunately, it was $7.95/ea. but they have them in stock. I will be looking forward to getting these and start working on another new prop. Thanks again Dave

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
I rather suspect American Science & Surplus is who bought all ~200 motors from Surplus Center. There's about $700-900 worth of profit right there :rolleyes: Oh well...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a quick power question and would appreciate some input. I tried making a tombstone peeper using one of these motors and one of those $6 skulls from Walgreens, but the motor doesn't have enough torque to lift the skull. I'm using a 9VDC 350mA power source to power the motor. Do you guys think the skull is just too heavy for the motor, or am I not giving it enough power? Thanks,
John

·
Registered
65 Posts
Im pretty sure, based on the black vent motor that is, that you have to have a 12vDC motor, with at least 500mA. I used one of these motors to build a grave grabber. The linkage is 6 ft of 1/8" aluminum stock, then 1/2" PVC for arms, hands made of 18 guage wire, with tape, latex, cotton and paint. The point is, it sounds like my setup has a lot more weight to it, and the motor has NO problem at all making it work.

Again, 12vDC required, 500mA recommended....

Just my experience...

Tim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry, one more question I forgot to ask before. What matters more the vDC or mA. I know my local Science Surplus had some higher vDC with lower mA.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The best way I understand this is the following....(and someone correct me if I am wrong)...

These motors are DC therefore they need to have a DC power source. I made the mistake of trying to hook up one, when I first starting using them, with 12vAC and it didnt work at all. Then I tried to use a 12vDC with minimal (I think 100-300mA, somewhere in there) power, and I could tell the motor was trying, but still would not turn, with no load. That's when I "discovered" if you will, that I needed more mA's. From there I went to the 12vDC and 1.2A, and it works great!

Bottom line...I think it HAS to be 12vDC, and at least more than 300mA. One more thing...DC motors will only pull the mA's that it needs to run, so when I say "at least 300mA" that is what I mean. It can be higher, i.e. 750mA, 1.0A (or 1000mA) and so on. The motor will only pull what it needs.

I hope this helps you "killa" and if you have more questions, just ask...

Tim

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I've had these motors running with 12 volts DC, 100 milliamps up to 1 amp with no problems.
I would recommend using at least a 500 milliamp adapter. That's what I use on most of my props using the vent motor.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
They vanished about a year ago. Maybe they'll show up on EBAY. Some guys from my haunt group have ordered different motors that we'll test this summer. Also, the source for Reindeer motors is dried up right now too.

·
Registered
365 Posts
They vanished about a year ago. Maybe they'll show up on EBAY. Some guys from my haunt group have ordered different motors that we'll test this summer. Also, the source for Reindeer motors is dried up right now too.
You gotta be kidding me! I was planning on trying the reindeer motors because... well... they are all that's left.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
MadMax posted a link to these motors a while back on E-bay. This is supposedly the actual motor that is INSIDE the white plastic reindeer motor housing. It's supposed to reverse itself, just like the reindeer motors.
Hard part might be figuring out a good way to attach a crank to it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TYC-50-ROBUST-AC-SYNCHRONOUS-MOTOR-110V-AC-0-8-1RPM-CW-CCW-STOCK-Torque-10KG-/151016215059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2329449213

I going to have a version of that motor for sell in a couple weeks works just like the deer motor and great for the breathing grave prop. I just need to decide on what a fair price is because I have 15-20 minutes of labor in it and $11- $12 in parts (motor, case, wire nuts, cord)..probably around $17 which is more expensive than the deer motor but it's American made :)

But you can use that motor just as you buy it, doesn't have to be in a case

I basically take the motor in your link, add the electrical cord and inclose it in a plastic case then seal it.

Dave the crank in this is simple, I guess I should say simple depending on what you're using it for. I will do a how to on how to attach a crank later this week.

This motor is perfect for the Animated Ouija Board

Below is the finished motor, case, cord, and with mounting holes and a little smaller than the deer motor...the case is 2x2x1.5

·
cheap and easy
2,292 Posts
I'm also testing a 6vdc gear motor with about the same torque as the vent motor...5-6 rpm and it doesn't reverse like the one in the above picture. After I do my test on it I will post more on this one. It will be almost as cheap as anyone can get them on ebay..from China. At least to forum members

21 - 40 of 64 Posts