Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used black shrink wrap for corpsing? I am corpsing plastic pumpkins and every one I spray black before I paint and dry brush. This could save me a ton of work but not sure on the quality.

black shrink wrap.jpg

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
I use regular clear .90 mil stretch wrap for all my corpsing projects. It can take a few more layers than other corpsing materials, but creates awesome texture. I would assume the black would work just as well with the added benefit of any flaking or cracking of the finished paint over time would not be as obvious. On my corpsed pumpkins it has worked well. I base coated them with flat black latex enamel and have had no issues with flaking. My vine arch was a different story though. I have found that spray paint does not want to stick to stretch wrap film, even paint formulated for plastics. I've started base coating large projects with the $6 wheel well spray from Harbor Freight. It's a rubberized paint that seems to adhere a lot better and may not flake off as easily.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Fellow Halloween Forum contributor Oak Lane Cemetery has a nice, quick video where he uses clear plastic to corpse a pumpkin. The gist I think would be the same for black. But for the record, using plastic sheeting for corpsing just about everything isn't uncommon. If that many people are doing it, it's probably a great way to go. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QHdeL8lZbA

·
Registered
282 Posts
I did several skeletons a year ago. I was really let down on the durability of the skeletons after a year. I am not sure if it was the naptha that did it, but the joints cracked and the sheeting got very brittle, I had probably 6-8 coats of sheeting in places and it just fell apart. I probably will never corpse like that again because we literally spent weeks painting them getting every just right for them to fall apart by the following Halloween.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I did several skeletons a year ago. I was really let down on the durability of the skeletons after a year. I am not sure if it was the naptha that did it, but the joints cracked and the sheeting got very brittle, I had probably 6-8 coats of sheeting in places and it just fell apart. I probably will never corpse like that again because we literally spent weeks painting them getting every just right for them to fall apart by the following Halloween.
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm always reluctant to use chemicals in my props because I just don't trust them to stop doing the damage we use them to create. I remember a tutorial on using a glue not made for foam that resulted in a tombstone being lost when the glue's solvents slowly dissolved the tombstone from the inside out. Your example seems to point toward a similar problem. Things like acetone and naphtha are also pretty toxic straight out of the bottle, so I'd rather use a heat gun or other means to get things to melt down to where I want them to be.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm always reluctant to use chemicals in my props because I just don't trust them to stop doing the damage we use them to create. I remember a tutorial on using a glue not made for foam that resulted in a tombstone being lost when the glue's solvents slowly dissolved the tombstone from the inside out. Your example seems to point toward a similar problem. Things like acetone and naphtha are also pretty toxic straight out of the bottle, so I'd rather use a heat gun or other means to get things to melt down to where I want them to be.
The Stillbeast tutorial used it to basically melt the caulk.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought some black shrink wrap to test it out and I am very pleased with the effect. This is a huge time saver, and gives a consistent look. Only in a few tiny spots do I have to spray paint to get a complete black base color.

IMG_3480.jpg
IMG_3481.jpg

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,013 Posts
Fellow Halloween Forum contributor Oak Lane Cemetery has a nice, quick video where he uses clear plastic to corpse a pumpkin. The gist I think would be the same for black. But for the record, using plastic sheeting for corpsing just about everything isn't uncommon. If that many people are doing it, it's probably a great way to go. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QHdeL8lZbA
Damn. That is a nice video! ;)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I bought some black shrink wrap to test it out and I am very pleased with the effect. This is a huge time saver, and gives a consistent look. Only in a few tiny spots do I have to spray paint to get a complete black base color.

View attachment 556801
I'm sure this is a "WELL DUH!" moment for everyone else, but looking at your work it suddenly popped into my head that corpsing anything that's going outdoors in plastic will give just another added layer of waterproofing to the prop. So, if you're going to creep it out anyway, this certainly seems like a great way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts