Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
How's everyone doing. I had a question about black lighting. I wanted to buy a couple of those 3.00 $ bulbs from party city and put them in my ceiling fan with a 24" black tube flurescent. In your opinion would this give the room (12 x 24) a good glowing effect. I would of liked to have bought 2 of the 48" black lights but I have to ration my money for other items. Thanks in advance.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
No, those bulbs are not real black lights. They are made with Woods glass which is used by blacklight bulbs, but they do not have florescent capabilities, meaning they won't make anything glow at all - you'll get a weak purplish light, and they get dangerously hot and can damage surroundings or start fires. Do not waste your money on them.

What you should go look for are actual florescent tube black light bulbs. They look like this:
http://lightbulbshop.net/images/cfl blb.png

Or this:
http://www.lamps2udirect.com/assets/img/front/ultra-violet-lighting.jpg

And should be available at big box stores (like Lowes or Home Depot). They'll be at least $6-10 dollars (which is one of the good ways to tell if they're real black light bulbs, actually).

Even with 3-4 of them in a ceiling fan, they may not make enough ultraviolet light to glow stuff up very much if it is a very large room. I use two in a fixture at the front porch, and I block off most of the area with black fabric to help lessen the light bleed from regular lighting and allow the blacklight bulbs to do what they could. Adding in the 24" blacklight will definitely help.

Registered
Just in case you needed another voice in the chorus, what everyone else said is correct. The bulbs are purple but not UV. Nothing fluoresces at all from the bulbs. You can get a nice 2ft blacklight from Amazon for $15

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, you saved me some time of having to return them if I bought the said bulbs. I think I will buy the spiral ones and make hanging drop lights in cages spraypainted black instead of using them in the ceiling fan. Should work better. Happy Halloween.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts