Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took out a regular incandescent bulb light fixture out of my eldest daughters bedroom and replaced it with a tube bulb florescent light fixture so we could turn it into an storage/ all purpose room.

We want to replace the bulbs with black lights and make some props for that room for our H-ween party, but we're unsure about what to make. We thought about a mad scientist lab or a carn-EVIL, but we kinda think they are over done and nobody that comes to our parties is freaked out by clowns so the effort may be wasted there.

The space is 13x15. I would like to something animatronic or have at least a little movement to it but that's not set in stone.

Any and all ideas welcome, thanks

Marc V.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Put a dish, drink, treat of some kind in middle of the room, something that people will come into the room to get multiple times.
Cover or paint the walls, ceiling, and floor with flat black. On the black, paint dots (about 1.5 inch or slightly less) in multiple blacklight reactive colors.
Make or buy a body suit of black cloth, place the same dot pattern on the suit.
Hide someone in the suit against the wall, or on the floor, who then steps out from different locations around the room after someone comes in.
You can even place a couple decoy inflatable suited fake people in the room as well.
You won't even need to have the live person in there all of the time, the suspense alone will take care of them sometimes.

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
That's a big enough space to work effectively as a "Dot Room". We've done that using black cloth to cover the walls, and simple neon colored craft paper dots. Our "Dot Monsters" wore black robes, same material as on the walls, with random dots on their bodies. Man, they VANISHED standing stock still in the corners. They came alive on cue, very creepy, worked every time. I was impressed...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My husband & I did a zombie apocalypse shelter. The room is our bar room. We used string black lights and attached them to the ceiling and put black light bulbs in the chandelier. I bought 'creepy cloth' from dollar tree and sprayed it with black light hair dye. I bought zombie kits from party city and some of the zombie creepy cloth that they had which already were black light ready. We strung the creepy cloth all over the ceiling. There were also cardboard boards that we put over the windows.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Another option is a fluorescent spider room. You can either (1) buy some glow in the dark spiderwebs (they are green) or (2) tie some string in spider web patterns and then dunk it in bleach-alternative detergent to make it glow under black light. (For the homemade string web to not tangle so easily, you want the outer ring of string to be a thicker type of cloth rope.)

Then you can buy plastic spiders and paint then with black light paint and stick them in the webs. Plus I bought a big inflated lighted spider at Walgreens and hung it from the ceiling.

Will look like this:
graveyardgus-albums-2011-haunt-picture105090-spider-hall-3.jpg
graveyardgus-albums-2011-haunt-picture105088-spider-hall-1.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can pretty much do any scene you want, just get some props and some florescent paint and let your creativity flow. I’ve seen torture rooms in haunted houses painted with backlight paint. If you really wanted to go all out you could look at getting some Chromadepth glasses and doing a 3D scene. Check out this video for some inspiration. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yO_DDpsAps

·
Registered
503 Posts
One year I did my whole foyer in black lights and bugs! They effect was incredible and of course kids love to come into a space where they glow too!

There are lots of plastic glow in the dark creatures available and they're easy to replicate on a larger scale using glow paints. You could hang some of those cocooned bodies that shake about ... maybe make a creepy pest control character and connect a fogger up to his "insecticide can" so it looks like he's fighting the bugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts