Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about covering my living room set with white sheets and thought about using back lights to make the sheets glow. Heres the question Will the white sheets glow with the black lights?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yes, but make sure they are brand new sheets. Or your guest might leave. Ha

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you wash your sheets in RIT whitener (found in the laundry soap or fabric dye section of your grocery store) they will REALLY glow!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yes they will!
I know this because (embarrassingly enough) I used to play Laser Tag, and I accidently wore white one day. I was such an easy target. haha.
It's fun too to write on yourself in highlighter, because you can't really see it without the black light on. But once you turn the light on, it's like a hidden message on your arm/face. :D
I'm so cheesy. :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
You may already know this, but be sure to use real blacklights - the fluorescent kind, not the incandescent. There are compact fluorescent bulbs available that screw straight in to a regular lamp socket, so you don't have to buy a bunch of those long ballasts. I saw the compact fluorescent bulbs at Home Depot for about $5.00 - I haven't bought any, so I can't verify how good they are.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm with SuperFreak, the RIT whitener makes them really glow! I was glad, too, 'cuz my dog decided to eat my couch, so I just covered it with sheets. Here's a pic of my living room a couple years ago.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[There are compact fluorescent bulbs available that screw straight in to a regular lamp socket, so you don't have to buy a bunch of those long ballasts.]

ok thanks for the tip! Id rather buy those rather a bunch of the long type ones!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[so I just covered it with sheets. Here's a pic of my living room a couple years ago]

cool room! Thats what I wanna do,Make everything glow and be dark.
Gee you wouldnt happen to have a beagle would u? lol I had the same problem with my sweet lil dog.She chewed right threw the cushions! we put the couch in the garage,was goning to through it away but we are going to put it down in the basement and cover with sheets just like u did.

Im so happy I found this site! you all have great tips and tricks ;o)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,576 Posts
You shouldn't have to get Rit whitener unless you really want to. Most detergents have phosphates that are blacklight reactive. Tide, Gain... I used the knock-off of Woolite (just a dollar store version handwashables liquid) and it worked just fine.

Try it with your regular detergent and you may not have to make a special trip to find the Rit stuff.
:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Skulkin, your "blacklight" room looks great! Did you just have the one long blacklight tube shown in the picture? Or more lights throughout the room? I tried something similar last year (without the white sheets), but the room was quite dark so found I had to add other lights.

If anyone else has any tips on how to make a great "blacklight" room, please tell!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[If anyone else has any tips on how to make a great "blacklight" room, please tell!]

Im going to add lots and lots of "scary" trees then wrap them in orange or purple lights.
I wanted to come up with something so I didnt have to use real lights.I want the dark party feel. Im going to get a bunch of branches and make tress by tying them together,painting them black then adding the lights. Its a super cheap easy way to add a lot of light anywhere in the house so people can still see but it will be with colored lights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes Im going to use cauldrons,fill them with rocks to keep them grounded,now I just need to find the branches! lol thats my plan for this weekend,go looking for branches!

·
Registered
114 Posts
You may already know this, but be sure to use real blacklights - the fluorescent kind, not the incandescent. There are compact fluorescent bulbs available that screw straight in to a regular lamp socket, so you don't have to buy a bunch of those long ballasts. I saw the compact fluorescent bulbs at Home Depot for about $5.00 - I haven't bought any, so I can't verify how good they are.
We tried to use these one year and they did not give off enough lite. So we picked up the 12" ones from HomeDepot and they worked great. eBay sells some really nice ones used in clubs. Hubby picked on up for $50 and it lights up a 15x15 foot room NO problems. Plus all of the neat flashing extras.

The sheet effect is always a winner. Everyone loves to see them self a glow!

·
Undead Handyman
557 Posts
Have you considered using UV LED floodlamps? They produce almost zero heat so they can be used inside or out and they too will fit into most standard sockets. They project light really well so that unless you look for it you won't necessarily see the source and one large bulb would easily light up all your furniture. I haven't priced them this year, but I think they run about $35.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You might want to add some cheesecloth ghosts to your room. They're cheap and easy to make. I got the idea last year from someone here at the forum (I'm sorry, I don't remember who).
I used those cheap, posable ghosts that you can find at walmart or kmart or almost anywhere this time of year for a couple of bucks. I soaked lengths of cheesecloth (bought in bulk from the meat dept. for about $10) in RIT whitener and draped them over the cheesy ghosts, then tattered the ends and let dry. I hung them with fishing lines at varying lengths and small eye hooks in the corners of my blacklitt room. I hid a couple of small fans which created just enough breeze to make the ghosts come to life. It's a pretty cool effect.
I wish I could share a picture with you, but all my pictures were taken with full flash and none of the lighting effects showed up at all (guess I should learn how to use my own camera, huh).
Good luck with your party!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yes they will!
I know this because (embarrassingly enough) I used to play Laser Tag, and I accidently wore white one day. I was such an easy target. haha.
It's fun too to write on yourself in highlighter, because you can't really see it without the black light on. But once you turn the light on, it's like a hidden message on your arm/face. :D
I'm so cheesy. :p
Oh, how much fun would it be to decorate the first person to pass out drunk!!! Take photos of them under the blacklight, but leave no visible evidance LOL :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Skulkin, your "blacklight" room looks great! Did you just have the one long blacklight tube shown in the picture? Or more lights throughout the room? I tried something similar last year (without the white sheets), but the room was quite dark so found I had to add other lights.

If anyone else has any tips on how to make a great "blacklight" room, please tell!!
We bought SEVERAL of the 24" blacklights at wal-mart. We just tested them out last night and at $9.96 each - totally perfect! Wal-Mart mustn't want to sell them for Halloween though -they are found in the regular light section in the store where you buy regular light bulbs.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts