Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used black light before. I bought a smaller black light tube assembly from Spirit and I'm planning to use it in my Murdered Bride chamber. I was going to string some low light purple or orange strings along the upper border of the room for atmosphere but now I'm wondering if it's a waste of time. Either they won't show up in the black light or the black light's effect will be reduced.

Am I right?

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
I guess it would depend on how bright the strands are. I have lights all around my black lights, but they are orange string lights and they don't affect the glow of the black light. Depends on what you are trying to make "glow". Is it glow in the dark to begin with? Or have you soaked the fabric in RIT? Anything made to glow in the dark will really "POP" under black light. This is a Bucky skeleton painted with glow in the dark paint and the cheesecloth behind him was soaked in RIT. This was taken in my living room and the there were two lamps and multiple orange strands of light in the room.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think you'll find that they will blend pretty well - but you'll most likely need more than one tube if it's a whole chamber unless it's completely dark.

I use three small 12" tubes inside my boat display which is about 10 square feet and 4 feet in height and in my opinion it's not enough.

You want UV from many different directions to wash the space unless you are lighting just one prop.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,100 Posts
I bought 2 of these and boy are they strong lights and LED ! http://www.goldengadgets.com/l-a3w-uv-110v-ac-3-watt-uv-led-light-bulb.html
Also spirit has this: and they light up a hallway well and all around too: http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/screw-in-anywhere-black-light/?w=blacklight&UTM_campaign=Search:SC:blacklight

And these are fantastic with a can holder (the can disperses the light even more) has to be FEIT brand, other brands are terrible: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Electric-13-Watt-60W-Twist-CFL-Light-Bulb-Black-BPESL15T-BLB/100553168#.UlCbmCSROM8

Never buy these kind- they are horrible: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=328867011

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
FYI...you can buy basic fixture and black-lights at lowes..the big one. You have to go back where there fluorescent lights are

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you'll find that they will blend pretty well - but you'll most likely need more than one tube if it's a whole chamber unless it's completely dark.

I use three small 12" tubes inside my boat display which is about 10 square feet and 4 feet in height and in my opinion it's not enough.

You want UV from many different directions to wash the space unless you are lighting just one prop.
It really is about just one prop - the Murdered Bride. I'm hoping to rig a rotisserie motor so she will levitate. Wish me luck with that! ;)

I washed the white sheets in White Brite or whatever it's called. I tested them under the black light and i think it will work well. I have two light fixtures in the ceiling of the garage workshop (where the Chamber will be) with four tubes each but I couldn't find anywhere that sold the black light bulbs separately. So I had to buy the light unit from Spirit. I really don't have the budget this year to buy any more - so many more things to buy yet so I'm hoping it works. I just didn't want to spend all the time putting up the string lights if they are just going to disappear in the black light. I have enough to do!! Ha! Ha!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Don't mean to hijack this thread but it is about blacklights. I just put a cfl in my desk lamp in the study to put glow in the dark webbing on the desk. the ream of super bright white paper lit up like a neon sign. So did the white card stock sign I put on the door for the directions to the second "bat-room" This opens up a rea(l)m of possibilities!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts