Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

My wife and I like to enhance our props with Wildfire UV paints and we were wondering if anybody had any recommendations on black lights. We have a bunch of fluorescent lights but they are limited in range as well as hard to hide. Not to mention heaven forbid we experience bad weather. We have been looking into maybe purchasing a 400 watt black light cannon and building an enclosure for it but are unsure if this is really what we need. Coverage of our cemetery is our main goal. Any suggestions? What about LED black lights?

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
They now make regular screw-in bulb size 'true' black lights too (not to be confused with the bulbs that are simply painted dark purple and get hot enough to remove the skin off your fingers.) I've never seen LED black lights.

·
Pirate of the Puget Sound
715 Posts
I purchased a couple LED UV lights this year--on eBay and at Spirit Halloween.

The cheaper "indoor use" 48-LED UV light from eBay did not have much range, but it worked to illuminate a UV-painted sign in my garage at close distance.

During the Nov. 1 sale, I picked up an 15-LED UV light from Spirit at half-price ($6). Not only was it weather-resistant and had a longer base for easy use in a floodlight holder, the light was brighter and more intense than the indoor bulb. At approx. 6 feet, it has about a 3-foot diameter coverage, and at 10 feet, a 4.5-foot dia. coverage. I would definitely recommend the 15-LED UV bulbs from Spirit. You could get a couple to illuminate your cemetery. The are regularly $13.

·
Registered
144 Posts
While LEDs are really coming into their own, I tend to think the UV LED Spots are still weak and only useful for closer highlights (single light per prop). If you are going for a whole UV Painted display, I would still use traditional lights. However, I would likely suggest a 'wash' design versus the cannon. Think of those as more a spotlight, usually with a pretty narrow beam.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Elation-UV-Wash-102505070-i1155367.gc

·
Undead Handyman
556 Posts
I bought three 60 UV LED floods from lightsalive.com for Hallloween 09 and they worked great that first year. They were rated for "thousands" of hours of use, but when I went to use them in 2010 the LEDs in the center of two bulbs began failing. This year one bulb died all together. At the last minute I substituted a cheap UV CFL mounted in a cheesy work lamp socket and attained almost the same effect at about a tenth of the cost.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Haunted I never knew Spirit sold those spotlights I have been looking for some this Halloween with no luck I have alots of props that will glow in black light!!! I will look next year or look on ebay for some!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts