Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As usual I'm getting to this at the last minute, but I'm hoping you'll bail me out with your expertise...again!

I've got a pretty simple jack-o-lantern, spider web, fog machine setup for my doorway and entry hall, but I'm getting NO blacklight effect. I'm using the same blacklights that did a bang-up job on my crank ghost window display, but with one unit outside above the doorway (pointed down) and one in the interior hallway (on the floor pointing up) I may as well have a blue light bulb on.

Are there different strengths/intensities of black light? If so, is there a formula for area of coverage and strength(?) of bulb?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
You'll find that certain elements react under the UV of a Black Light. White cotton, such as in your FCG, react really well. "Neon" paper also fluoresces very nicely. Experiment. I love Black Light, in my mind, no haunt is complete without it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Make sure you are using UV blacklights and not just black bulbs. Lots of people make the mistake of buying the $1 black light bulb thinking it will have the same effect as UV black lights.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Always use florescent black lights vs incandescent (screw in bulb).
The fixtures range from 12 in., 18in., up to 4 ft shop lights. You'll get a true black light every time with florescent black light. The incandescent are just purple bulbs that tend to get hot very quickly & don't do much to give off light.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts