Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting a long time for this build and it is finally happening. I found a set of wheels with axles this summer and knew I wouldn't have time so I stored them until now. I have been doing a lot of research on the hearse and wanted to do a more realistic suspension so I ordered trailer leaf springs to attach to the axles.

The first step was to strip the buckboard frame. These axles came from a buckboard wagon but I just needed the pipe itself so I set aside the framework that I might use later on the front suspension

Here is the full setup from the summer.

20170709_205726.jpg .

Here is the axles broken down.

20171121_203429.jpg

I wanted the springs to look like a carriage spring so I flipped one and doubled them up.

20171121_203713.jpg

At first I wanted to weld them together but I later decided to notch them so that they could bolt together. I wasn't going to trust all of that weight on a weld. I used a metal chop saw for this. these were very thick metal

20171220_183810.jpg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bolted and screwed the frame down yesterday. I used two layers of 2x4's for strength and support.

IMG_2647.jpg

Added the plywood. I made sure to leave some 2x4 up front so I could attach the front end

IMG_2650.jpg

I started on the front last night adding the header and sides

IMG_2652.jpg
IMG_2653.jpg

Now comes the hard part the front end suspension. I will probably start on it after Christmas. I have some ideas like the lazy susan bearing. I will keep posting as I move along

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got a chance to get back on here. Here is where I am at now. I built up the front axle while still being able to use some of the old parts. I did use the lazy susan bearing like others have. I think it was 12" rated for 1000lbs.
IMG_2679.jpg

I needed to support the front of it so I used the frame and the front foot board
IMG_2754.jpg

I siliconed the top. I will eventually silicone the whole thing to keep the weather from getting to it
IMG_2759.jpg

Now that the frame was done I made a couple dollys to put it on because it will be to tall eventually to get out of the garage. i used casters so I could still wheel it in and out
IMG_2805.jpg
IMG_2807.jpg

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I started framing the back. You can see the 3/8 in Lexan I plan to use for the windows on top. A friend of mine gave me 4 sheets which will be plenty.
IMG_2815.jpg

I started on the bench last week and ended up finishing it up! I used a 2x4 frame with some Luan board so I could get the bend. Its starting to take shape!
IMG_2838.jpg
IMG_2843.jpg

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,643 Posts
You are killing this build! Love the attention to detail and craftsmanship thus far. Everything looks solid, well planned out and well engineered! Strong work!!

Reactions: eightcircuits
1 - 20 of 55 Posts