Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've built a few tombstone and they come out pretty good but not as "clean" as the ones I see other people do. By clean I mean my letters can have some pretty rough edges, never a very "crisp" lettering. I use a dermal tool with bit and have tried a number of different bits like regular drill bits and once a sheet-rock bit which I think worked pretty well. I need a new bit and was wondering what bit y"all use and how deep do you carve the lettering? I mostly use the blue foam for my stones and here's a picture of a a cemetery sign I made late week to give you an idea of what I mean.

006.jpg

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Did you happen to see the video up above or now maybe below called "restless tombstone"? It has a video in it about carving tombstones. Great info.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you happen to see the video up above or now maybe below called "restless tombstone"? It has a video in it about carving tombstones. Great info.
I did watch that but it has nothing to do with carving the stone itself? I want to either know what bits others use to carve their stones or tips to help me do better carvings on my stones.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Stringy_Jack, I think you letters actually look pretty good. Perhaps try a smaller bit so you can get into the corners easier. I've been using the smallest bit that came with my dremel which looks like this:
It lets me get into the small corners. I think it's called an engraving cutter bit. Hope that helps.

Just an aside, what's a "Cementery" from your photo? :eek:
--JaCk

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stringy_Jack, I think you letters actually look pretty good. Perhaps try a smaller bit so you can get into the corners easier. I've been using the smallest bit that came with my dremel which looks like this:
It lets me get into the small corners. I think it's called an engraving cutter bit. Hope that helps.

Just an aside, what's a "Cementery" from your photo? :eek:
--JaCk
Thanks for the tip...and yea the Cementery thing was a goof and just because a testing ground for carving. Thanks for the advice Caretaker after watching Terra's video it looks like my biggest problems were having my dermal on too high of a setting (like you said) and trying to go to deep. I think the going to deep may be my biggest problem.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,774 Posts
Thanks for the tip...and yea the Cementery thing was a goof and just because a testing ground for carving. Thanks for the advice Caretaker after watching Terra's video it looks like my biggest problems were having my dermal on too high of a setting (like you said) and trying to go to deep. I think the going to deep may be my biggest problem.
Not yet listed on Wikipedia but a "cementery" is a watery graveyard where the mob disposes bodies with cement shoes.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts