Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I wanted to do something similar this year to use as our garbage can. Where did you get the biohazard sign for the side, or did you make it? Looks great!

·
Master of my own Universe
974 Posts
wow, that looks awesome !!

I was thinking of "throwing together" a toxic dump for the corner of the driveway, this has certainly given lots of inspiration.

I'm also thinking that the ropelight and foam may look good on a witches cauldron

Many thanks for sharing

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
That looks great! I'm planning on building one for this year as well. I was going to use a metal drum because I thought it would give a better look and sound. It'll also be easy to distress. The ropelight and Great Stuff foam is an excellent touch. Can I ask how you managed to cleanly paint the foam without getting it all over the barrel? Also, what type of paint did you use?

Thanks!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
That looks great! I'm planning on building one for this year as well. I was going to use a metal drum because I thought it would give a better look and sound. It'll also be easy to distress. The ropelight and Great Stuff foam is an excellent touch. Can I ask how you managed to cleanly paint the foam without getting it all over the barrel? Also, what type of paint did you use?

Thanks!
Same question...specifics on the paint.

As for the rope light, did you paint a "white" rope light or a green rope light?

·
4,484 Posts
How tough are the metal 55 gallon drums to drill thru??

Also, how tough are they to cut as far as cutting them in half? Can you do it with a reciprocating saw? A 4" hand held grinder?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
That looks great. Pump a little fog through a tube into it and it will seep out the top. That will add to the effect, especially if you have a pneumatic prop popping up out of it. Nice job!

Eric

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all. I used black spray paint for the barrel and Floresent green for the foam. I taped around the edges of the foam which took some time, but probably saved me time in the long run. I touched up the barrel again with black spray paint using a piece of light cardboard to keep the spray contained. I used a small art brush to paint the smaller pieces of foam.
I actually bought the sign from ComplianceSigns.com - Safety signs/labels: Chemical / Biohazard - Biohazard
They are $6. I made once, but it made more sense to just buy it.
I used green rope lights. Even though they are completely covered by the gGreat Stuff they glow great.
I cut one barrel with a jig saw, the other with a circular saw.

·
4,484 Posts
Thanks all. I used black spray paint for the barrel and Floresent green for the foam. I taped around the edges of the foam which took some time, but probably saved me time in the long run. I touched up the barrel again with black spray paint using a piece of light cardboard to keep the spray contained. I used a small art brush to paint the smaller pieces of foam.
I actually bought the sign from ComplianceSigns.com - Safety signs/labels: Chemical / Biohazard - Biohazard
They are $6. I made once, but it made more sense to just buy it.
I used green rope lights. Even though they are completely covered by the gGreat Stuff they glow great.
I cut one barrel with a jig saw, the other with a circular saw.
did you paint the rope light or did you have green ropelight to begin with?

·
4,484 Posts
How tough are the metal 55 gallon drums to drill thru??

Also, how tough are they to cut as far as cutting them in half? Can you do it with a reciprocating saw? A 4" hand held grinder?
Let me rephrase that ...

Does anyone know how tough the "steel" 55 gallon drums are to drill and cut?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Let me rephrase that ...

Does anyone know how tough the "steel" 55 gallon drums are to drill and cut?
They are easy to cut with a jig saw. Just be sure to have a good metal blade and drill a pilot hole to start your cut. It will be noisy, but an easy cut. I cut a metal 55 gal. drum to make this buoy for our JAWS outdoor movie party.

Eric

·
4,484 Posts
They are easy to cut with a jig saw. Just be sure to have a good metal blade and drill a pilot hole to start your cut. It will be noisy, but an easy cut. I cut a metal 55 gal. drum to make this buoy for our JAWS outdoor movie party.

Eric
Nice work on the bouy....do you make props for all your outdoor movie props

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes. I enjoy making props. We do an annual neighborhood outdoor movie night with our good friends next door. We are fortunate to have fun and sufficiently demented neighbors like us. I even got them to let me bring in a boat I borrowed as a stand in for the ORCA.

To keep from hijacking this thread, you should have no problem cutting the barrel. Just be sure the 55 gal. drum has no flammable residue left over from its previous contents.

Hauntcast, that prop looks awesome! I can't wait to see it with the pop up in operation!

Eric

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hauntcast - Wow, this looks really nice! I was planning something similar but I like your method with the rope light much better.

Here's a questions for everyone - Whats a good way of creating the barrel lifter portion without using compressed air. I don't need it to pop up to surprise anyone. I just want the lid (with the head attached to it) to continually come up and down. I'm on a budget, so spending several hundred is out of the question. Ideally I would like to spend $50 max on it.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Joe

1 - 20 of 30 Posts