Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old daughter decided last year that we needed to do a clown theme for our home haunt this year. With one of her favorite movies being Killer Klowns from outer space this came with no surprise.
So we started gathering all the clown stuff we could.
After watching a bunch of YouTube videos for inspiration on what props to build this year, I kept coming back to videos of Gore-Galores oversized actormatronics. I fell in love with Pogoliath and Honkers and knew what I needed this year in my haunt.
Much like all of you I get joy out of creating my own monsters and props. That and I don't have 3-12k to spend on one prop. None the less rather they turn out really good or just so so, I get the satisfaction of creating them.
I don't have any drawings, layouts or measurements, just an idea and a family crazy enough to help me build.
For the head I found an image I wanted to use as a reference and projected it onto a wall in the garage. Then my brother started shaping and securing chicken to a wall in the garage with a staple gun. He laid it out to match the image we projected. Then him and my wife started spaying foam. Next we'll be rasping it down to get the final shape we want.

ggg.jpg
hhh.jpg
ddd.jpg
photo 4.jpg
fff.jpg
sss.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think he already looks rather evil.
For the frame I'm going to cut the front end off of a bike and use the forks to attach the head to. Along with some poles and what not welded to it to make it more secure. The controls for the mouth are going to be the repurposed brake lines and levers.

I'm sure everyone will have a different way I could have accomplished the same results a different way. And I'm sure I'll even come up with things I should have done here and there.
Any criticism and ideas are welcomed. Rather you see me doing something way harder then it needs to be, or just want to chime in. Feel free to do so.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Everybody needs to look at this thread. There have been tons of posts over the years wondering how to make big faces. I had thought about projecting and foaming but never thought it would work. This is proof that it might.

Thank you badciv and your family!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Played around with Binky some tonight. Ridding solo I found out fast I'm not nearly as good at the chicken wire and spray foam as my wife and brother are.
Made the lower jaw and teeth frame. Also added two rods through the head and two through the jaw. I hope this gives it a little more rigidity and it'll give me something to mount my poles to when I go to mount the head to the front of the bike frame.
Only had one can of foam to play with... I know, I know what kind of prop maker only has one can of spray foam on hand. But this allowed me to get the rods foamed in along with some of the lower jaw.
Also found a bike on Craig's list for free, cha ching. So I got it all torn apart and cut up.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I haven't been on here in a while. Stupid life got in the way. Ran out of time for the haunted house. Got what we could done, we were still setting stuff up when we had people showing up at the door ready to come in. lol. Then clean up and jumped into Christmas decorations.
Binky turned out pretty good. The bike cable didn't give the jaw enough motion and I didn't have time to put a motor or anything on it. So I left it loose and it kind of bounced when I moved the head. The heads center was way too low for where I had to put this guy in my haunt.
All in all there would be a bunch of things I would differently. But he still turned out pretty good.
I have some videos to upload as well if I can figure it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts