Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Haunters!

I've decided to start a thread in order to share my garage haunt build for Halloween 2020. We purchased our home in August of last year and really only had a couple of months (really weekends) to put on our show. It was a huge success but I wasn't quite happy given the rush job (are we ever?).

Link to Halloween 2019:

I've since cleaned out the garage and started thinking about a more long-term solution. Ideally, I'll have an actual functional garage year round with a nicely set-up work station. However, come Sept-Oct, the garage "should" have the ability to easily transform into major components of my haunt (walls, structures, etc.) with extra points if I can find a way to maximize storage.

I have some interesting ideas that I'm still thinking through and there may be some trial and error involved but I'm excited to get started. I've also decided to up the fear factor in my haunt going forward. This has me selling most of my bulky animatronic collection in favor of smaller more intimate scares/scenes. This also frees up much needed storage space.

So first step is to clean, patch, and paint - Stay tuned!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Casters and Hinges

So like many of us on here, I have suddenly found much more free time to dedicate around the house. Last weekend, I started framing what will eventually be a hallway in my haunt. This is the only structure that will be freestanding all-year round. Think of it as like a storage unit inside the garage. During ToT season, it will be a dark hallway with a drop panel scare. However, the rest of the year it will function as a place store all my Halloween props/projects. If you look closely, you'll notice that there are a pair of swinging doors that allow me access to the water heater and the left side of the drop panel. The right side also has a single swinging door for access.

Next step is skinning the studs. The goal here is to use as much of the "inside space" of the 2x3 frame as possible. Stay tuned.

IMG_9296.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hello Haunters -

Made some good progress on the build this weekend!

As you can see, I've started skinning what will eventually be my Portrait Hallway with drop panel scare. As I mentioned before, I'll probably be sticking with some variant of a clown theme for the next couple of years. After that, this hallway can be modified for the new theme (haunted mansion, asylum, etc.). Specifically for this year, I'd like the backstory (TBD) to incorporate the typical clown scenes but with an added "behind the curtain" tour.

Last year, I made each visitor "join the circus" by become a clown and giving them a clown nose (bulk ordered). I'm thinking I'll do the same this year but with the added twist that only clowns are given access to the "behind the curtain" tour which would include the clown living quarters and clown portrait hallway, kitchen/butcher chop, etc.

So half the haunt will be the circus/show and the other half will be Clown Manor (or something with a better ring to it - lol)! :devilish:

For this specific section of my haunt - ToTs will walk through the Clown Portrait Hallway and then have to squeeze through a crack in the wall (the only escape). They will then find themselves in a walk-in cooler which leads to the Clown Kitchen (TBD).

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

I created the slat look exactly the same as the guys at a Haunter's Life.

Check out the series "How to Build Modular Walls" if you haven't done so already.
A Haunter's Life - Click Here

The window will have some sort of effect (rain/thunder, maybe just overgrown with shrubs...) but I haven't decided yet. Again, just like the above video, I added wainscoting throughout the hallway bottom. I found the perfect wallpaper for dirt cheap that will eventually make these walls pop.

Now if you look closely, I've also built one (1) of what will eventually be two (2) swinging walls on the exterior. The idea is, come Halloween season, I can simply swing these both open (like one would open a book) and have my middle wall and adjacent room wall - think like a "T" shape when fully open.

IMG_0887.jpg

That's it for now - Happy Haunting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts