Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone on here posted about Big Lots having a 30% off sale on their statuary, and I swung by as I was interested in seeing what they had.

I found the perfect graveyard angel. She is resin, so pretty lightweight (maybe 5 pounds) and VERY detailed and stands just under 2.5 feet tall. Her eyes are closed and she has a sad and pensive expression on her face. I'm going to paint her up to look like aged marble and she's either going on a column or I'm making a gravestone with her on the side. Regularly $34, I got her for $23.50, and she's a bargain!

I saw the lion and other smaller stuff, but there was one other one that I wish I got a pic of: an angel/cherub with full wings that sort of shrouded the body like a cloak, sitting on a square plinth and holding a book. They were massive and creepy and would look PERFECT for a graveyard entry column type setup. They were made of resin also, probably around 10 pounds, and $50 each regularly (yikes if you pay regular price - they would have been $35 each with the sale) but were at least 2 feet tall, at least that big around and they almost didn't need painting. The sale ended yesterday, but I'd keep an eye out on them to see if they go on sale again...

My graveyard is too tiny to really do them justice, but I was VERY tempted to get a pair just because.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
That's a great piece! Our BL didn't have that one but I have one more BL to check tomorrow. I saw the larger angel you're talking about and I'm picking one of those up this week. It will make a great monument topper and like you said, it doesn't need anything to make it look old/creepy. The prices aren't really too bad considering how much use you'll get out of the pieces over the years.

·
Hauntingly Addicting
6,068 Posts
Frankies Girl what A great find, she is going to look fabulous on either a column or a tombstone whichever you decide. Please post pics when you are done making it:)

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
What a great find! She's beautiful. Love the detail and graveful nature.

Very cool! She'll make an excellent addition. Honestly, I don't know if I would even paint her. Maybe leave her outside until October, or try some aging techniques.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
So my other BL had two of the standing angels like FG bought. but both were damaged and the sale was over. no way I was paying full price for one with cracks/holes in it. The cherub with wings was still there but at $50.00 I'll wait for it to go back down. I'm thinking these aren't going to move at that price.

·
~zombie hunter~
3,346 Posts
Great find, looks like I need to make a trip to Big Lots (if they're still on sale here).

I think the sale ended Sunday. :mad: However after summer is gone by they go on sale for like 50-75% off and even during summer they will still have sales because they will be getting a bunch of new stuff coming in. I love BigLots. :p

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,504 Posts
I keep trying to figure out what that angel is holding........it looks like a donut! LOL
Angel food maybe?
That's the first thing I thought looking at the picture but seeing it first hand, it's just the way the hands are interlocked and she's not holding anything.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I think the sale ended Sunday. :mad: However after summer is gone by they go on sale for like 50-75% off and even during summer they will still have sales because they will be getting a bunch of new stuff coming in. I love BigLots. :p
The clearance that stuff when they bring in the Halloween decor :)

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
What a great find! She's beautiful. Love the detail and graveful nature.

Very cool! She'll make an excellent addition. Honestly, I don't know if I would even paint her. Maybe leave her outside until October, or try some aging techniques.
Our BL has all the ones she mentioned. I didn't know there was a sale 'til it was too late, but hopefully they will go on sale again. They had the cherub enshrouded in the wings last year, I've been dying to buy it!

I have 2 resin items from them from probably 3 years ago (an angel almost knee high and a celtic cross) and they have been outside all this time. The cross is in full sun and is gone white with a chalky-ness, the angel is under a tree so not white, still grey, but somewhat chalky. Don't know if this will hurt them, but am sure it will shorten their life, so painting them might not be a bad idea if only to protect them and add to their longevity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts