Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went there today looking for Halloween stuff but sadly they only had fall themed stuff. But they were closing out their garden stuff and it was 75% off. They had a lot of nice angels so i got this one for $6, she's about 18 inches tall. I don't like the greenish color but nothing grey spray paint can't fix.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My Big Lots has all their Halloween stuff out. I got a few cd's for only $3. They had a really awesome talking welcome mat that reminded me of the Ghost Host from Disney's Haunted Mansion ride, but they suddenly disappeared!

·
Registered
14,079 Posts
My Big Lots has all their Halloween stuff out. I got a few cd's for only $3. They had a really awesome talking welcome mat that reminded me of the Ghost Host from Disney's Haunted Mansion ride, but they suddenly disappeared!

Our store only had what it's had out for a while. They seem to be very slow putting out this year. The door mat is $5 BTW.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Big Lots

That's a beautiful angel (I collect them) and a great price! I'm going to check out the Big Lots near me today.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Big Lots, Costco, Sam's, Wallmart - and what we found. . .

Hello fellow haunters!! This weekend - we were bitten by the Halloween bug BIG TIME!! and made our first real scores as we toured our favorite local stores for the latest spooky ideas.
Costco had just a few things - but a very large black bat with glowing eyes was a great find. We bought three at $28. a piece. A bit pricey I know - but these will hang over our haunted path - up in the trees - for years to come. We managed to score a garden statue "Diana" at our local Lowes. She is 4 feet tall and will be a perfect addition to our graveyard. At the beginning of the season - she was $140.!! We waited and it paid off. Got her this time for $34. We will just "creep her up" a bit with moss and some spray paint. Also - found a used wooden palette in the dumpster that is the start of our very ambitious Graveside Hearse project. We found four wagon wheels at Big Lots that were on sale - again from garden items and they were just $5.00 each!! It's a start. . .
Also - Big Lots had a fun item: eyes and a sound box that you wire to a branch inside a low level bush/shrub and sound activates the thing to growl, glow and jiggle big time! The little ones will have a fun fright with that. Only $10.00. Our big purchase(s) this year have been the life size Butler from Sam's - and the life size Grim Reaper and Skeleon shaking in Cage ordered online from WalMart. Now to hit the dollar stores and the thrift stores!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that bat! his wingspan is almost as tall as i am! i really liked him but not this year. did you see the ginormous light up skull there? it's only like $40.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Light up skull???!!

Nope - missed that!! SOUNDS VERY VERY COOL!!

We did stop in at our local Party City to be amazed at a giant hanging devil and a similar designed hanging wolf-thing. Big teeth and would scare the pants off any werewolf! BUT -- as big as they are with arms outstretched (had to be a span of 8-10 feet...) the price tag was equally big and scary! Nearly $300.00!! Yikes!

So - I'm thinkin' -- how could I make such a thing? Wire - creeepy fabric scraps - chicken wire, plaster of paris and lotsa paint... There just isn't enough time in a day... Ya know?
Boo!!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
ANother good item is the little fence pieces are 75% off...you can use them to better define graves in your cemetery

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think i'm going to costco today, i will try to get a pic of the skull for you.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Thanks Mementomori! I'll love to see a picture of the skull if you can get it. I have soo many photos of our past Halloween set ups - both inside and outside our house - but I still don't quite know how to post them without crashing my computer. I'll get help tonight when Igor - oops, I mean my adorable hubby - gets home from work.

Also - Thanks Scatterbrains for the fence info too! and..... BOO!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
they were all sold out when i went today, hope they'll have him next year!

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Lots of Halloween items seem to be selling out really fast and then the stores say they aren't getting any more in. What's going on this year?!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Lots of Halloween items seem to be selling out really fast and then the stores say they aren't getting any more in. What's going on this year?!
The economy.

By the way, we went nuts when Big Lots was selling off items for 75%, and then 90% off last year - I can't wait to pull everything out and figure out where it will all be used!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I was in my Big Lots today and they looked pretty well stocked for Halloween. But I wasn't really impressed with anything I saw.
Actually what I noticed more was what I DID'NT see. Not one Blucky skeleton in sight. Big Lots is famous for those and I saw not a one. Hmmm.......
I did buy some more of that green imperial garden fencing. The fence looks great and it's a steal at 25 cents a section. (8 sections for $2.00). My store still has plenty left.
Also if anyone needs an outdoor tent thing for a fortune teller they have those at 75% off too.

Chris--I cleaned up last year at the 90% off sale too! I even got the only flapping wing/ talking gargoyle they had!

·
lurking in the shadows
7,332 Posts
Our Biglots had some nice stuff today...My favorite has got to be the flicker set this year for 9.00--I also picked up a Doormat screamer (5.00) mat you put under whatever mat you are using with the box (two AAs) attatched to it.. I am SOOO happy i found this as my old one died a couple years back.

Most was costumes, and party stuff..their plastic tableware...I haven't seen anything except the flicker set that made me OMG-- we will def initely be getting a couple of those sets...

and garden is definitely the place to look for your cemetery stuff, it's all on sale right now :D

Least there wasn't any xmas....

·
Registered
407 Posts
That angel is great. I was thinking something simple (kinda of lol) this year like the look of the graveyard in "Interview with the Vampire" ....classic swampy, old orleans look . Couple of those would fit right in.

·
Registered
725 Posts
About a month ago our BigLots put its stuff out. They had this trio of skulls that lights and makes sound, motion activated. The LED lights are extremley bright so this makes a great prop. I have not seen them in the store since I bought mine.

I guess I don't mind. Would rather have rare props that no one else on the block has! Considering that we haunters raid the stores weekly, missing out is just not an option!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts