Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a great glass beverage dispensser at the thrift shop yesterday. Its about 5 gallons and has a spigot. I'll probably have a non-alcoholic punch or cider in it. I want to put some creepy decorations inside, but what would be food/beverage safe for this? I don't really want to poison anyone!

·
Shadow Crosser
741 Posts
Why not spooky bottle it instead. Twine around the neck and a cool spooky bottle label (lot's of threads here on spooking bottles) Then maybe do one of the drinks that glows under a black light. That would look real cool!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elza, thanks for the spooky lable idea! My jar didn't come with the lid so I will probably put some twine around the neck as you suggest and maybe hang some things from it. The label idea is great. I'll probably try that too once I figure out what kind of beverage to put in and what to call it.

I really want to find a way to displace some of the volume since it takes about a gallon just to reach the spigot, and I want to float something in there, if only some fruits even.

On the website where I found the picture of the jar, they sell some marbles to put in the bottom, but they are expensive. I don't know if the cheap marbles would be food safe.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lots of easy things you can do here...
1.)drop some dry ice in there and pack it with regular ice. The spigot will prevent the dry ice from being consumed, and the top of your jar will have a nice little fog effect.

2.) freeze some little plastic flies or spiders in ice cube trays and drop them in

3.) fill a few latex gloves with cranberry juice and tie them off like a balloon. freeze em. then just pull off the glove. adds flavor and a cool bloody hand effect

4.) put a big rubber frog in it

5.) maybe if you go with a label, put a hazardous materials label on it. make the punch green and drop a glow stick in there to really make it glow.

and ps- I have 2 of the exact same jar and that spigot always leaks. so careful where you put it.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
Get a hand or brain mold and freeze either ice or punch mix in it (make several) and float them inside.

I made a hand mold out of a rubber dishwashing glove. (got the idea from Black Halloween Punch - All Recipes). You wash it with dishsoap and rinse really well, turn it inside out so the rubber side is the inside, and then pour liquid into it and use big rubber bands at the wrist area to secure. Pop it in the freezer (prop it up so the wrist won't leak) and you have a great creepy hand to float in your punch.

I could see adding eyeballs to punch container like that too. If you can find this prop Animated Eyeball Lab Jar in Decorations Props & Accessories (bought it at Target a year or so ago for $20) and harvest the eyes out of it, then you can wash the eyes with dishsoap and they'll be fine. They have holes in them to allow them to sink to the bottom or float.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a couple of dispensers that are a little smaller and love the look of them for parties, but just like Layne mine leak at the spigot. Anyone find a way to stop that? I would love to know.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Layne and Frankie's Girl: All great ideas! I did the floating ice hand in a regular punch bowl last year. It was pretty cool, so I may try something like that again. I was concerned about the plastic toy things all being made in China, so who knows what might leach out of there. I'd like to have some eyeballs, so I'm going to check into getting that prop or those similar eyes.

I really love the jar. I washed it out really well (it already had some floaties in it)! The spigot seems to work well so far, but Layne, thanks for the warning about leakage. I think the jar was listed on the website at $99.00! I only paid $5.25 (with no lid).

Addicted2Boo: I must have been typing while you posted! Thanks. Now I've been warned about the spigot twice. Must really be something to that!

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
in regards to the spigot leakage, does the spigot come out completely or it is a permanent addition to the jar? We have 2 that the spigots are removable for washing/etc. if it's not removable couldn't you seal it with some sort of silicone sealer? once dry it should withstand liquid pretty well, and if you use the clear, it won't ruin the aesthetics of the jar....just a thought.

·
Ravenous Zombie
1,196 Posts
Some plastic eyeballs inside would be great. I think especially if the liquid inside is red or green. Also, you can stick some rubber centipedes or tarantulas on the outside and maybe some cobweb too. = )

·
Registered
156 Posts
The spigot comes out and I thought of using some silcone, but then it wouldn't come out anymore and was worried about cleaning it. I may just need a new ring or something to create a better seal. Thanks for the thoughts though!

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
I found a great glass beverage dispensser at the thrift shop yesterday. Its about 5 gallons and has a spigot. I'll probably have a non-alcoholic punch or cider in it. I want to put some creepy decorations inside, but what would be food/beverage safe for this? I don't really want to poison anyone!
You dont want to poison anyone? Geesh that isn't any fun :D

I had pretty much the same suggestions as the others but just thought I'd add what a great dispenser that is!

MsM

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the great suggestions! Now, to find just the right beverage to put in it. MsMeeple, I do really love this thing and the price was right. Just hope I don't break it before I get to use it!

I was looking around online and I saw that some similar dispensers have a cylindar that you could put in to hold ice. So I'm thinking of maybe putting a tall vase inside with ice and maybe some eyeball things. That will take up some of the volume. Then I'll put some other of the creepy things you all suggested in there to float or sink or whatever they'll do.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
For the past 2 years Target has sold ice cube trays with edible gummy eyeballs in them. Add water, freeze, and voila.

We had a similar dispenser and the eyeballs were very entertaining for our guests that frequented the punch a few too many times.

Keep a ladle close by because someone will eventually dive in and get some.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HalloweenPrincess: I love those radish eyeballs. I'll definitely try to make those!

Nevarstar: Thanks for the link on the skull and crossbones ice cube trays. I did find a skull cube tray at the dollar store today. Wish they would have had more of them.

msim: I'll have to look for those gummy eyeballs when our Target gets their stuff in. I'm pretty sure we won't have a problem with punch diving as it won't be containing any alcohol. . . but then again, ya just never know what people will do!

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm picturing a collection of baby doll heads shoved into tied clear balloons. You would have to fill the heads with water first so they sink to the bottom and take up that room below. Make sure to wash all the powder of the balloons before putting them in the jar or your drink might taste a little latexy. Ech! I bet it would look great in a green or red drink!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts