Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I’m tired of stripped screws, fogged up glasses, and cramped hands. Does anyone have any ideas for a better way to secure those pesky battery compartments on our lighted pumpkins, LED string lights, dancing skeletons, and other cheap China crap?? Are there any drill bits that fit the little [email protected]#$&? I’m not a fan of duct tape to hold the compartments closed, so any other ideas?

Furniture Picture frame Couch Building Interior design

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use black masking tape. I suppose I could go to the hardware store and get a thumbscrew to fit instead of the philips head that is just one size larger than they use in eyeglasses. But black masking tape is here and handy. They absolutely do suck.
yeah, I’m thinking electrical tape for the ones that are outside and painters tape for the inside props…

·
Registered
105 Posts
We end up just using packing tape out of simply not remembering to grab replacement screws from the hardware store... It has always worked for us even though its not an ideal solution... It helps that we always have tons of packing tape around here.

-K

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,572 Posts
I literally throw those stupid screws away. If a battery compartment won't stay shut without the screw then I'll just use whatever tape I can find, packing tape, painters tape (if the compartment won't be seen), etc. Usually the battery doors do stay closed without the screws though. A lot of things now have both the screw & a push in safety tab.

I keep a small screwdriver that the exact size for those stupid things right next to me at all times on Halloween though. I use it & it goes right back to it's home next to my end of the sofa.

Sometimes those eyeglass repair kits have the right sized screwdriver to use but you can also easily buy a set at the dollar store, Big Lots, Walmart, even Home Depot & they're not expensive either. Just put it on your list off season.

Although I seem to use mine all year since it seems like so many battery operated things have those stupid screws in them now.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I literally throw those stupid screws away. If a battery compartment won't stay shut without the screw then I'll just use whatever tape I can find, packing tape, painters tape (if the compartment won't be seen), etc. Usually the battery doors do stay closed without the screws though. A lot of things now have both the screw & a push in safety tab.

I keep a small screwdriver that the exact size for those stupid things right next to me at all times on Halloween though. I use it & it goes right back to it's home next to my end of the sofa.

Sometimes those eyeglass repair kits have the right sized screwdriver to use but you can also easily buy a set at the dollar store, Big Lots, Walmart, even Home Depot & they're not expensive either. Just put it on your list off season.

Although I seem to use mine all year since it seems like so many battery operated things have those stupid screws in them now.
Ditto!

I still have a Valentine lighted house that I can't get the screw out of & ended up seeing a video that you put part of a rubber band over the screw before the screwdriver, push hard while turning & usually can get it out...gives it some extra umph. The Valentine house is the only one it didn't work with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts