Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have the Group buy section to this forum where some people post items to sell. I'm wondering if there was a way to make this a bit more local. Would it be possible to create a forum section called HF marketplace? Then create a thread for each state (eg. CA Wanted/Selling, IL Wanted/Selling, MO Wanted/Selling). If anyone had items they'd like to sell or are looking for, people could post that info there. Then locally there's a better chance that us haunt fans could help each other out.

Just throwing it out there. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Good thinking, but I am not sure about the feasibility. Think of it this way: 50 states + multiple countries = tons of threads to weed through. The only way that it could work would be if they would stay organized alphabetically, which I am not certain could even be arranged (anytime someone posts, that thread automatically goes to the top, correct?).

·
Spider Maven
1,468 Posts
Or it would be nice if the state was included in their thread topic. So then for instance I wouldn't peek at one in CA living here on the east coast.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Wonder if you would end up with douchebags creating an account just to 'list' simple little things so you end up with a bunch of wasted accounts created. Maybe you should have to have a certain number of posts or be a member for so long, to post things in there? Is that even possible?

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Or make threads there, stickied by state or region? I don't know how to get around deadbeats but that could be worked out somehow I suppose.

·
Registered
564 Posts

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Eh. You just need to use some formatting in the title, something as simple as [sMD] [FS] for "state of Maryland - For Sale" or [nUK] [W] for 'nation of the United Kingdom - Wanted" or [cLA] [FT] for "city of Los Angeles - For Trade."

We just need to figure out these tags and put them into a sticky post at the top of the various sales folders, and get everyone to use them. Not that hard to make things more organized. We could even have title tags in regards to manufacturers as well, like [GR] for Grandin Road. And tags for limitations, like [LPO] for "Local Pickup Only"

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's quite possible that within the software that created this forum, it already contains the ability to have a classified section. But Spirit Halloween chose not to use it. I have a website (not related to Halloween) and used a software called Handshakes which has the capabilities to do all this plus the classified. It would appear as part of the top toolbar. I didn't need it so I left it off the site. Spirit is a company selling Halloween merchandise, so they may not want to encourage us to do that. But I think that anything that helps the community creates brand loyalty. Considering the longevity of this forum, I don't think us HFers are going anywhere.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
It's quite possible that within the software that created this forum, it already contains the ability to have a classified section. But Spirit Halloween chose not to use it. I have a website (not related to Halloween) and used a software called Handshakes which has the capabilities to do all this plus the classified. It would appear as part of the top toolbar. I didn't need it so I left it off the site. Spirit is a company selling Halloween merchandise, so they may not want to encourage us to do that. But I think that anything that helps the community creates brand loyalty. Considering the longevity of this forum, I don't think us HFers are going anywhere.
It never occurred to me that Spirit would be the issue. But a good portion of this forum is about do-it-yourself stuff. From wiper motors to pneumatics to mache, a good portion of us build our own stuff & share it here & they don't object to that.

I didn't think Spirit funded the ENTIRE forum either but I honestly have no idea why I think that. Maybe because it's not titled "Spirit's Halloween Forum" it's just "Halloween Forum" & an individual & his minions help.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts

DAWNSKI it sounds like you saying this forum is officially run by Spirit Halloween? Do you know this to be true? I know Spirit Halloween is one of and probably a major sponsor dollarwise to this forum compared to our other sponsors, but I am not under the impression what you stated or are implying is true.

I know we have the Group buy section to this forum where some people post items to sell. I'm wondering if there was a way to make this a bit more local. Would it be possible to create a forum section called HF marketplace? Then create a thread for each state (eg. CA Wanted/Selling, IL Wanted/Selling, MO Wanted/Selling). If anyone had items they'd like to sell or are looking for, people could post that info there. Then locally there's a better chance that us haunt fans could help each other out.

Just throwing it out there. Any thoughts?

The Group Buy section is for Group Buys, not Wanted or For Sale items. As someone already pointed out there is a section for individuals to sell or seek items and it seems like those that want only local buyers will mention their area in the title already.

Here's my two cents on the Buy/Sell board area. I have bought a few items, maybe 4 or 5, from listings here on the forum. I know sellers are required to list prices, and if not already doing so, should indicate if they do not ship. People who don't ship items out generally will list that in their post because they don't want to get involved in packing and shipping and tracking items. Personally I'm not seeing this issue as a big problem.

It's my feeling that people list here because they would like to help out a fellow HF member. I wouldn't want to see the forum being used as some quickie Want Ads for halloween items. I think that could bring alot of individuals to this forum who would just look for halloween items to buy and then resell on e bay.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with Araniella, maybe just simply putting the state in the Title would make things easier.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts