Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
School me again on power adapters.

I have a device that requires 3v at 600ma. The adapter I have is 3v at 500ma. I can't seem to find an adapter that I have on hand to fit the requirements exactly. I either have more or less between volts and amps.

So, is it better to have more volts or amps?

·
Registered
310 Posts
The best case is to find a power supply that outputs 3V but with more current (amps). The specs on your prop means that it needs 3V to operate and will draw about 600ma of current. If you have a power supply that provides the 3V but provides more than 600ma of current then that is fine - your prop will only use what it needs. My guess is that the unit you have that provides 3V at 500ma will probably work because the typical specs on a device tell you that they need more current then they will really use. It should be easy to tell - plug in the 3V/500ma unit and see if your prop works. If it does not work or operates erratically then you probably need to find a power supply that outputs 3V but with more current (amps).

·
Registered
574 Posts
The rule is:
Match the volts, more amps are better.

If you use a 5v supply with a 6v prop, the prop *may* work, but it may work slowly or erratically. If you use a 3v supply with a 6v prop, it probably won't work at all.

Likewise, using a 12v supply with a 5v prop will release the magic electrical smoke that makes the prop work, and it may even catch fire...

Craig

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good info...

So, match the Volts. For Amps can be higher (because it uses what it needs) but not lower. Also, it's the amps that can kill you. I think I'm getting it now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts