Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, I just started working on my digital puppet(beta) for my singing pumpkin.
I would like comments and effect suggestions on it if anyone is willing to test it out.
Once Im happy with it, I put the final version on here for everyone to use!

This is to be used with a projector, for a realistic talking jack-o-lantern pumpkin.

Click on the pumpkin to trigger it,
then press the <enter> key for mouth movement.

http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1247080160

·
Registered
540 Posts
Looks good! What's it for?

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a basic version of a digital puppet that when projected, can make a realistic talking or singing pumpkin.

·
Registered
107 Posts
WOW..That is freaking awesome.
Will it eventually be responsive to sound?
It looks great. When will it be done and you start taking orders?

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW..That is freaking awesome.
Will it eventually be responsive to sound?
It looks great. When will it be done and you start taking orders?
yeah, the final version will hopefully have mic input as well as a record and play button. fingers crossed! I was originally thinking free, but I might sell it for a couple of dollars, just to get out of my over-budgeting issues, and time spent creating it. Glad you like it!

I plan on projecting it onto a "lead-singer" pumpkin with flaming hair; while the other band members (pumpkins) bang their head to the music. It's just an idea right now. But I think it would look really cool. Another Idea I had was to have the talking pumpkin float as it sings.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Nice Flash word. I like the the glow filter - really adds to the effect.

I'd love to know how you make the flash piece responsive to sound. Would you imbed a WAV file onto the main timeline? Is there some sort of actionscript linkage or runtime sharing?

Extremely curious.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks! I'll probably increase the glow effect a little more! It does add alot! I might even make it flicker to add to the realism.

I plan to make the mouth move be mic input as well; using action script code. I haven't yet figured out how to make it respond to .wav and mp3 files yet.

Im actually running behind on this, so if you have any flash experience, I wouldn't mind a 2 person callabaration. It would greatly speed up the design of the software.

For songs like GGG and others; hopefully I will have a "record" button that will record the song and mouth movements and then play the "scene" at the push of a key stroke.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This would be so neat to project from a tree or a second story window onto one of those giant lawn bag pumpkins and then have it sing to "This Is Halloween" or "The Headless Horseman" or something similar. Truly awesome! Let us know when it's available! I would use it with the recorded performance option and play it back in a continuous loop.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Hey, that's pretty cool! I haven't done anything in Flash for a lonnng time. But I did screw around with Processing more recently, and I'm pretty sure you could do the audio sync (.wav, .mp3) in that. Either Processing or Pure Data (PD). Still not entirely sure how those two play together.

Maybe this is a little too early in the process, but the only thing I might add is that the lip syncing might be a little better if the filter were faster on the attack of the syllable, and slower on the decay. (i.e.: quicker action when pressing [Enter])

Just a thought... Looks cool!
- Hook

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just had another idea for using this prop! I could see it with a static life-size headless horseman prop (perhaps a redressed Gemmy). Have him holding a real pumpkin in his hand and project a performance of the Jack-o-Lantern singing the old "Headless Horseman" song from the Disney classic. That would be so neat!

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just had another idea for using this prop! I could see it with a static life-size headless horseman prop (perhaps a redressed Gemmy). Have him holding a real pumpkin in his hand and project a performance of the Jack-o-Lantern singing the old "Headless Horseman" song from the Disney classic. That would be so neat!
haha, Im actually pairing him with a headless horseman tombstone! the tombstone will also be animated. I can't wait to finish it too! Im still working on the pumpkin puppet...I hope to have it finnished soon. I hit a snag with adding mic input. But, yeah I'm using it for a headless horseman prop! and yes it will sing the "Headless Horseman" song. I guess great minds think alike!:rolleyes::)

If you want to see more about the prop I plan to use it on you can view the plan here. http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/79022-new-prop-combination.html

·
Registered
576 Posts
Great way to interact with ToT's! For a little variation in the mouth, would it be possible to have another keys make the mouth into vowel/consanant shapes? V, E, O, L, F, P, etc. I've never done video puppeteering before but it seems intuitive to type keys as you are talking, making the mouth move.

And could there be other keys assigned to make the mouth into various expressions? frown, smirk, growl, snarl, laugh, toothy grin, pout, etc.

Looks great!

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great way to interact with ToT's! For a little variation in the mouth, would it be possible to have another keys make the mouth into vowel/consanant shapes? V, E, O, L, F, P, etc. I've never done video puppeteering before but it seems intuitive to type keys as you are talking, making the mouth move.

And could there be other keys assigned to make the mouth into various expressions? frown, smirk, growl, snarl, laugh, toothy grin, pout, etc.
yeah it would be possible to do all that, and originally I wanted to do that. I still plan to do it! I think it would be great to have expresions and voice the "O" mouth. but It doesn't look it will happen this year! I still have way to many things to work on. If I do make the O mouth, I might have to sacrifice mic input because that step alone is extremely time consuming to create. I had so many plans for this, but unfortunantly time got the best of me! I look foward to hearing your input!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am very interested in this program. please let me know when you are finished.
Would it be possible to do the lipsync to a song and burn it to a dvd to play back on a loop?

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
yeah it would be possible to do all that, and originally I wanted to do that. I still plan to do it! I think it would be great to have expresions and voice the "O" mouth. but It doesn't look it will happen this year! I still have way to many things to work on. If I do make the O mouth, I might have to sacrifice mic input because that step alone is extremely time consuming to create. I had so many plans for this, but unfortunantly time got the best of me! I look foward to hearing your input!
Send me the Flash file and let me see what I can do. You should be able to make each vowel sound as a mc and then tag them from the main timeline while the audio runs. For good motion, I would recommend 30 fps.

Each mc should be a shape tween. Then apply the outer glow to the main timeline clips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anymore info on this, got a pre-made video which I dubbed music to, only one song but would be interested in this for the future, hope for more to come

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I stopped working on it...Due to lack of interest and the late start in developing it. I have a few things added, but nothing I would want to release. If I had started sooner on it; It might have been ready for Halloween 09. Unfortunately, I just haven't had the time to finish it. It will be available for 2010!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts