Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the easiest, fastest way to remove the paper label and sticky residue from a plastic container (Cheese Ballz). We want to make a head-in-jar.

I was thinking skull with acrylic to make it permanent. Is that the best method?

Thanks!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
First I'd try soaking the container in hot soapy water for 15-30 minutes. Sometimes the label and adhesive will just slide off after it's soaked.

If that doesn't work, try some Goo Gone, or if you don't have that you can always try WD40 or baby oil. Sometimes it will take some elbow grease to get all the residue off.

As a last resort, you could try heating the label with a hair dryer hopefully peel it off with ease. Just be careful not to melt your container. I've made a few milk jug skulls this year and after running the heat gun over the label, it just peels off. Since I'm assuming you're using a clear plastic container, I don't know if I'd risk a heat gun on it or not.

Hope some of this helps. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
The thing that works best for us is filling the jar with water and microwaving to a very hot/boiling point. This is how we get our son's prescription labels off the bottles. No need to soak them in anything. Those labels are hard to get off, but very easy if you do the microwave method.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,484 Posts
A cheese ball container may not fit in the microwave. I'd go with the Goo Gone then just take some Dawn to the leftover bits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all for the responses, we will give the baby oil a shot. If it comes out good, I'll post some pics.

For the poster that asked about the acrylic:

Clear liquid Acrylic that hardens. That way it would be permanent. I was thinking about adding some coloring and then trying to shake it slightly towards the end of the drying to try and get some air bubbles to form and harden in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts