Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm working on my fence and I have heard different things about painting the pipes. Some people say spray paint and the others say it takes too many cans and it's too hard. Some people say paint by hand and others say it takes to long.
So what is the best way to do this?
Also, I probably will also need to paint the black plastic chain for it at some point too. I'll take any ideas for that as well.

·
Registered
302 Posts
method 1: lay all your sections down tightly packed but in 1 layer, spray that side, wait for it to dry, roll over, spray yadda yadda rinse repeat.

method 2: assemble sections. mount on rebar stakes and spray or brush.

Personally, I prefer to spray, I have an air compressor, so I just bought a paint spray gun for it $50 or so at your home improvement store of choice. With this you can use almost any type of paint. if you go this route you will also need to get the appropriate thinner for the type of paint. compared to the cost of spray cans.... or the brush strokes left behind .... worth its weight in gold.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Just don't buy the cheap spraypaint. That's the best advice I've got for that, and it came the hard way.

More creative - get one of those donut shop icing waterfalls, thin out your paint a bit...

I've got a bunch to paint this year too. Not sure there's a real "best" way.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I laid all my poles out on a drop cloth close together. Then I used a paint roller. I rolled them and waited for them to dry. Roll the poles over and roll them again. Repeat until covered. Use a thick nap roller to cover more. This also puts the paint on thicker so it doesn't chip off easily. Worked great for me.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Krylon Fusion paint works really well IF you give the pipes a light sanding first and make sure that all of the dust and dirt is off of them. If not, as Kakugori noted, it just drips and chips. I've had great success with it if I take those steps first.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i was doing some pipe that are my spotlights this year... i used the $.99 flat black spray from lowes. Seems to be working ok and sticking well to the pvc... at a buck i can use three or four and still be under the cost of a can of fusion. we will see how well it will hold up though. I would definitely suggest getting the spray can trigger adapter, it will save your finger
2c80a1e4-5497-4209-922d-16f43b622ca0_300.jpg

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Ironically, I just finished assembling my fence sections and gate, and today I begin painting them.

There is a secret weapon that makes painting your PVC pipes a LOT quicker and easier; it's called a painting mitt. You wear it like a mitten, dip it into the paint, and go. Cheaper than spray paint, quicker than a brush, and you get excellent coverage. I also suggest lightly sanding your PVC before painting to improve adhesion.

Here's a link to HD, but I'm sure Lowes would have it as well, or any paint store.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Linzer-8-in-x-3-8-in-Synthetic-Painting-Mitt-RT363/100168481#.UjsJV5TD_IU

I'd suggest using a lint roller or some tape on the mitt before use to remove any loose fuzzies.

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All good ideas. I have about 30 to deal with and I just want to get them black for this year. If I have time I'll worry about adding detail to them. I thinking about pawning this off on my husband since he wants to try to help this year. He was really upset when I told him there was nothing he could do. I have a little CDO, which is 'OCD' but the letters are in the correct order as they should be. Anyway, this seems easy enough for him... I hope lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you want the spray paint to adhere better, wipe down the pipes with an acetone soaked rag first, it'll break the gloss finish. Its a lot easier than sanding.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wish i had seen this before i went to home depot lol. I just uesd some spray cans but im not liking how many it takes (1.5 cans for one section. too pricy) I was HALFWAY Tempted to just dip the pipe in a can of paint and let it drip dry lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I went for the rustic look with my fence. So this is how I painted mine.
Get paint that can be poured in a can or bucket.
Buy a 1.99 pair of cloth gloves and some rubber gloves (like doctor uses)
Put rubber gloves on first (to keep from getting paint on your hands) Then cloth gloves.
dip your hands in the paint and brush with your hands. Its way faster than spray painting.
After they dried I did a little white wash to make them look old. My 2 cents.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts