Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen posts about not having enough people come. Any thoughts on how to limit the number of folks appearing? We ended up with almost 70 people in our apartment last time I threw a shindig, and it was so big it was hard for me to enjoy myself! I'm in NYC so halloween is a big deal here, but it seems the effort I put into my parties is heavily appreciated (just more appreciated than I can handle). Thoughts on how to make it more intimate, but without making people feel excluded?

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,299 Posts
i'm not sure there's a good solution other than being strict about the guest list. if it's a matter of invited guests bringing too many people along, let them know you want to keep it fairly small so at least approve any uninvited guests with you first. if it's just a matter of having more close friends than your residence can handle...well, there are worse problems to have i suppose. :)

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,843 Posts
Sounds epic! Can you co-host, maybe with someone who has a house? Then the responsibilities can be shared.

Do you have different sets of friends that can be separated (work/neighborhood/family)? Maybe you can have a smaller party with work friends or family earlier in the month. Or draw the line over who is invited--no work friends. For instance, when our kids were younger, we would have a teen party the week prior and then the adult party the week after.

·
Registered
530 Posts
This is a cool problem to have! But, yes, too many people can be almost be a bigger problem than low attendance; particularly if you don't have the space for them.

I'm not sure there's a good way to limit the numbers and not have people feel excluded, but if it needs to be done, then it needs to be done. If you had more people show up than were invited, perhaps let people know it's an invite-only party. Maybe explaining (in person or on the invitation) why it needs to be so.

Other ideas:
- If you had kids there, perhaps making it an adult-only party. This would not only limit the kids, but also the parents who can't/don't want to leave their kids at home.

- If the issue is people are bringing tag-alongs, perhaps limit the number of invites you send out.

- If there are only a few people that tend to bring a lot of others with them, perhaps have a chat with them to let them know you don't have the space for a lot of extra people.

It would be easy to suggest renting out a place or holding your party elsewhere, but we couldn't do that. It takes us weeks to set up our house and trying to do all of it in less than a day, especially to the level of detail we put into everything.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the good ideas! I think you're all right that I need to limit who can be brought! I was debating doing one or two rounds of party, but I am afraid I'll burn myself out that way too unless maybe I do one as a luncheon and one as a party party. I'm grateful to have so many wonderful people in our lives and I love making Halloween for everyone, so I do want to achieve balance so I can go back to throwing the parties!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts