Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First...does anyone have any suggestions on how to cut perfect circles in rigid foam? I'm using 1 1/2 inch foam and cutting 14" circles that I will sandwich together with a 1/2" PVC pipe inside. Therefore, the circles need to match or else they won't line up right when I put them together. I've tried several times to cut them by hand and each time they don't match so I'm a tad frustrated. I'm using the same template to cut them out but I'm just sucking at it. Anyone have a better idea? Is there anywhere to buy them pre-cut in rigid foam? I've seen plenty of craft type Styrofoam discs but they're not thick enough and not the texture I'm looking for.

Second...how the hell do you get the black lettering off PVC pipe? I read somewhere to use nail polish remover and that didn't work at all. I need to paint the PVC pipe white so the lettering is just bleeding through. Even tried sanding it down but no luck.

:mad:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using a plastic barrel as my template. It's when I pull the barrel away to go deeper that somehow the circles don't end up matching. SO frustrating!

The pipe is going to serve as a lollipop stick. I could go out and buy white tape but I don't want to have to do that. I've had this problem for a while, even when making faux candles.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
That black writing on PVC pipe comes off very easily and quickly just by sanding it with a sanding block. I do it all the time.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You might try cutting 2 pieces at once - that way, what is on one is on the other.
Acetone removes the ink from PVC pipe. It's what we used in manufacturing the pipe to remove spills
HM

·
Prop Master
728 Posts
You might try cutting 2 pieces at once - that way, what is on one is on the other.
Acetone removes the ink from PVC pipe. It's what we used in manufacturing the pipe to remove spills
HM
I agree, try cutting as many peices as you can at ounce and they will match, listen to the other guys about the pvc, like i said i dont remove it i just paint over it but never white.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just went downstairs to try another piece and the nail polish remover (with acetone in it) just won't touch it for some odd reason.

I'll try cutting two pieces at a time. My blade isn't that long so I'll have to take a trip to Home Depot to get something that will cut deeper with a clean cut.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had the same problem- I suck at cutting. However, I went ahead and glued 2 circles together (looked terrible), then took sandpaper and sanded by hand until the edges matched. It was a real mess of flying foam particles, and I probably inhaled a good bit of it, but the final project came out well. Just be smart and wear a mask.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts