Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a sculpting project and have 3/4" thick EVO foam. I started using a box cutter to cut my outlines but it looked really jagged. So then I used a heat tool but it still wasn't the best, due to the small/fine details in shape I need. I'm debating buying a pair of sturdy sewing scissors to make the cuts. Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll definitely hit her up. Eva foam isn't like regular foam board you buy from Home Depot, but rather the type of foam used for cosplay costumes. I'm trying to make some giant sharks with them cut out then adhesived together.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh awesome, thank you. I think the issue is my knife wasn't sharp enough. I'm going to try his plate technique. I've also seen someone try a mix of WD40 and sandpaper to keep the knife sharp. Luckily I have all that on hand. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am working on a sculpting project and have 3/4" thick EVO foam. I started using a box cutter to cut my outlines but it looked really jagged. So then I used a heat tool but it still wasn't the best, due to the small/fine details in shape I need. I'm debating buying a pair of sturdy sewing scissors to make the cuts. Any other recommendations?
A hot knife works best.

·
Super Moderator
5,672 Posts
Realize there are hot knives, and there are HOT knives as well. I originally had a little craft knife from Michaels, then the 'industrial hot knife' from Harbor freight, and recently went all in with Hotwire Foam Factory's industrial knife. Each step has been a night and day improvement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts