Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping you can help. I am cutting a large piece of 2 inch blue foam for a crypt lid (32 inches by 84 inches). I have used a hand blade to cut 1/2 foam but need a better method for the 2 inch foam. I need a long straight line with smooth edges. I saw on prior posts that some people recommended using a jig saw. Will this work for my project? If so, what kind of blade should I use?

I also have a radial ram saw and a circular saw. If those would be better, what kind of blade should I use?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,489 Posts
I'd use the jig saw. More control, less heat. Circular saws get hot and can melt/distort the foam edge.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
I use a homebrew hot wire tablesaw. Way better than any other method, the hot knife is easily worth the investment. there are several DIY howto's out there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Since you don't have a table saw I would use the radial arm saw. Blade type really doesn't matter, but I would use a carbide tipped blade if you have one. They have teeth that are a little wider than the blade itself which cuts down on the friction induced heat.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Brilliant untillater , we struggle to get the hot guns in the U.K. and when we do they are tiny this is an excellent home made workplace tool i am going to check out your vids see if i can make one myself this weekend , thanks again.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use a jig saw with a longer blade. Got the blade from Ace Hardware as the big box stores don't carry them anymore. I don't remember the part number but it's about a inch longer than the normal ones.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have tried using the 10" radial arm saw. It did not turn out well for me. It got bound up after about 12" and it tore it up the panel completely. Now I just use a hand saw. I have gotten pretty good at making straight lines now. But it did take me a few years to get it right.

·
Registered
876 Posts
There are several ways to make a hot wire cutter table. Here is a video of the one I made using a ping pong table.
If you are not going to be cutting full sheets then smaller is better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnH9ZDCvdrc

This is a 2" thick piece I am working on for this year.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Top tips much appreciated all , i used handsaws , plasterboard saws , etc etc but with average success it cut it ok but only to a fashion , but i have now got excellent advice on some new ideas thanks again to all of you .

·
Registered
854 Posts
if you don't have the hot wire or hot knife, i have found that a jigsaw with a long blade jwith ust a few more teeth per inch that the metal blade works well for small work. if you need to cut long straight lines, a circ saw with a paneling blade does the trick nicely. i have an old saw i bought at a garage sale, as i drilled holes in the paneling blade to keep it cooler. this is in case i unbalance the blade too much.
thanks to everyone else for their suggestions too. i sure would like a hot wire setup. i'll have to check out the video when i get home
HM

1 - 17 of 17 Posts