Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok just back from Blockbuster and I pick up a real dud called The Wicked. Very low budget and pretty much trash. So bad I could not watch more than 20 minutes of it. I have pretty much seen most of the classics. How about some tips on everyones favorites? I could use the escape right about now.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I really like B rated horror movies just because of the fact that they are generally all new people to the scene. The unfortunate thing though is that because of the budget generally something really sucks about them. If that is editing, special effects, acting, or just the over all story line. Something usually ends up sucking. But if you can get past the bad things about the movie, you can sometimes find gems.

A good example would be Evil Dead. A bunch of high school friends were messing around with making movies. A couple years later decided to put together a movie for 90,000. From that experiment spawned Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi.

Anyhow, off the soap box. To say the least, I hunt the pawn shops for obscure horror dvd in search of the next good thing.

Some gems I have found over the years.

Undead - great zombie movie from down under

Dead Birds - creepy movie with a great story line

Shaun of the Dead - Im sure you have heard of this one, but probably another great example of a B rated movie that turned into something bigger

Jack Brookes Monster Slayer - great creature flick, especially if you like the old school rubber monster suits.

Dark Carnival - Probably the worse one on this list in regards to quality. But as a haunter you might want to check it out. In short, its a "haunted" haunted house.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I really like B rated horror movies just because of the fact that they are generally all new people to the scene. The unfortunate thing though is that because of the budget generally something really sucks about them. If that is editing, special effects, acting, or just the over all story line. Something usually ends up sucking. But if you can get past the bad things about the movie, you can sometimes find gems.

A good example would be Evil Dead. A bunch of high school friends were messing around with making movies. A couple years later decided to put together a movie for 90,000. From that experiment spawned Bruce Campbell and Sam Raimi.

Anyhow, off the soap box. To say the least, I hunt the pawn shops for obscure horror dvd in search of the next good thing.

Shaun of the Dead - Im sure you have heard of this one, but probably another great example of a B rated movie that turned into something bigger

Jack Brookes Monster Slayer - great creature flick, especially if you like the old school rubber monster suits.

Dark Carnival - Probably the worse one on this list in regards to quality. But as a haunter you might want to check it out. In short, its a "haunted" haunted house.
Wow I am not really into the dark side of Halloween (just love building props), but now you have me all inspired to seek these out(seen shaun of the dead already). Thanks for the great list!!!!

·
Resident Lunatic
1,772 Posts
Some of my favorites are

Night of the living dead (1968)
Dawn of the dead (1978)
Halloween (1978)
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Poltergeist
The Brood
Pet Sematary
28 Days Later

And if you like old classics, don't forget about

Dracula
Frankenstein
The Wolfman

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts

See, I like B movies...ESPECIALLY OLDER B MOVIES, because virtually everything they do is something we could do in a haunt. So, I tend to seek out movies based on whatever theme I'm running.

Makeup, screen fades, and props are almost ENTIRELY what these are made from.

The Brain that Wouldn't Die was on TMC last night, for instance.

There, the severed head sat on a table for most the show, being kept alive by a serum being pumped into it. Well, that serum ran from a flask down a tube, and to make that VISIBLE, they introduced air bubbles into that tube, so you saw the dark serum broken up by air bubbles running down the tube in every scene where that head was talking. I plan to use that same setup in the lab this year. Wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Id have to disagree that Shaun of the Dead was targeted as a B rated movie. there were some incredible special effects if you watch the extras.. thats one of my favorite movies... but anyways, I cant believe no one has mentioned "The Exorcist" as a fav scary movie! still creeps me out to this day... I am a fan of B horror as well... cant go wrong with alot of blood, so so acting, and a good scare :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Another one...

Feast - This one could be debated as well. on if it was a B rated, as it was funded behind Project Greenlight. But since the director was new and the majority of the cast was new, I think it is safe to call it that. Be warned though that this movie is a bit crude and crosses lines. But I think that is what is so great about this one! Because the director does try new things.

I will have to keep an eye out for the older ones! I havnt had much luck with stuff before 1980. Well with the exception of Night of the Living Dead, which on its own account is probably the grand father of B rated movies.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Well, when I was in about 5th grade the original "When a stranger calls" really freaked me out. Then when I got older the one that scared me the most was "Alien". Ever since I've been a great fan of that movie series. Though I did like "I spit on your grave". My little brother was freaked out with the "Blair Witch Project". I personally thought it was really bad. I liked the effects in "The Ring". Just some random thoughts.

·
Super Moderator
5,801 Posts
Blair Witch requires you to believe it's a documentary, not a movie.

I don't think ANYONE can see it quite the same way we did at the Sundance premiere...There's a lot of backstory that's essential to it that's just not in 'the film'. Don't know if they are on the dvd extras or not.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Blair witch comments

I was one of the ones who believed it was actually a documentary, till the very end, i kinda caught on...but before seeing the movie, i looked up all i could about the back story and such. Its actually quite involved. It seems you either love or hate that movie. I am one of the few that love it. anyways, thats my 2 cents worth :)

·
Registered
20,824 Posts
I like the older movies, mainly. Some of my picks would be:

Creepshow
Trilogy of Terror
Thirteen Ghosts
The Gate
Subspecies
movie series (back when Full Moon was good, IMO)
Pumpkinhead

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Dice, give "Fright Night" a look. Also "The Lost Boys" is definiely worth watching. Some of the Classics like Frankenstein, Dracula and The Wolfman are also excellent, but hard to come by in a Video Store.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nosferatu (1922) remains my all-time favourite; perfect for a late-night, lights-out, the wind is blowing outside kinda thing.

Another, less well-known classic is It's A Wonderful Life (1946). I don't recall exactly what happens other than I felt queasy after watching it.

JD

·
I make dead things deader
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I am off to the video store and will check out some of the ones mentioned that I have not seen.

Wolfman... I LOVED the original "Lost Boys"!!!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,450 Posts
Suspiria (beautiful colors, interesting story)

House on Haunted Hill (BOTH versions - Vincent Price starred in the 1959 version, but the remake from 1999 while almost a completely different plot is GREAT)

13 Ghosts (again, see the Vincent Price 1960 version, then the remake from 2001. Same as the above: different plots, but both great)

Bride of Frankenstein (well, what else would you expect? :D )
Frankenstein

Identity

Silent Hill

Resident Evil

Jeepers Creepers

THEM! (1954 black and white - it's more funny than scary, but it's a classic)

Monster Squad

House of Wax (NOT the 2005 piece of sh!t - the Vincent Price 1953 version - it's available in 3D too)

Idle Hands

Mad Monster Party

The Thing

Pumpkin Head

Reanimator

Killer Klowns from Outer Space

Okay, I have to stop... the hubby and I have close to 1,000 movies in our collection, and there is a good representation of horror/scary in all of that so I could keep going all night...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
440 Posts
The best horror movie I have probably ever seen currently is The Strangers. I loved that film.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Some good movies I have seen recently thanks to Fearnet and my local library and I highly recommend these 5 is ; Silent Hill (now I know why this became a hot selling video game.....excellent movie),Mirrors....intense !, the Messengers...well done, One Missed call....creepy visuals, room 1408 plays lots of mind games .I almost got the Strangers but it look too much like a slasher movie of which I get bored with. I prefer more SciFi and suspense with cool creepy effects thrown in for good measure. I also try to rent PG-13 films when I can because of more suspense and less gore and etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts