Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. having a blast building stuff for my 1 st "real" haunt so far. :)

I bought some cheesecloth at Home Depot for dressing my FGC, and got some rit whitener. i was just wondering what I should do to achieve optimum results under blacklight (yes, a real blacklight)? I realize that following the directions on the box (throwing it all in the washing machine) is a BAD idea with cheesecloth.
I'm thinking just soak it in a bucket and hang it up to dry.
- does the amount of time I soak it make any difference?
- will the whitener still be useful later, if i save it for something else (like spraying on spider webs or soaking more cloth at a later date)?
- how much water should I use to mix the whitener? (it's a standard size box...quite small, really)

Any/all advice would be greatly appreciated.

btw: if it matters at all, this haunt will be indoors (in the garage).

OOOOOWWWEEEEEEEEE I can't wait till halloween!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'd set the whitner off to the side and use liquid laundry detergent. Get a bucket, fill it with warm water and add a generous amount of laundry detergent (4oz) and mix it in. Let the cheesecloth soak for a half hour or so and the remove it, sqeeze the extra water out and toss it in the dryer. Shold glow nicely under a blacklight. I did all 2 of my FCGs this way.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. thanks for the tip. ANY liquid laundry detergent, or is there one that works best?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think I used Tide when I did mine, What you can do is test the detergent first. Hold a blacklight up to it and see if you get a reaction. I believe most of the main brrands will work......not sure about the budget brands.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
excellent idea. Thanks again!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used Rit on mine. Mine came in a box with 2 packets in it. I opened both packets, threw them in a bucket and added a bit of water.

Then I stirred it up to help it dissolve. I added my cheesecloth and stirred it around and pushed it under the water for a couple mins. Then I threw some small clean stones on top of the cheesecloth to keep it under.

I let it sit for about 2 hours. Wrang it out and threw it in the dryer to dry.

Here is the result:

Very easy and glows amazingly bright under the blacklight.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm....decisions, decisions....
Think I'll test a small bit of cheesecloth in both and see which is better.
Thanks for the help, peeps! :)

·
Registered
395 Posts
I used RIT also. I mixed up both packets in a 5-gallon bucket ( less than half full though), and soaked it for a few hours. Then into the dryer (on gentle!), for a bit. The dryer did make the cheesecloth change texture, so I'd use caution with that.

If you already have the RIT, go ahead and use it. It's great!

My result:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yeah found out not all laundry detergent works. I have one that has no additives and it didn't do anything to my chessecloth. Where do you guys get RIT at? What section of the store would it be at?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I got mine at Walmart too...same section.
...and thanks for all the advice, folks, much appreciated!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think I got mine at Walmart, it was in the same isle as the detergent. There should be a small section with all the RIT clothes dyes, it's with them.
Found it last night less than $2 with tax put it in a bucket with warm water and checked it about 30 min later and it was bright blue under black light! I left it in there and will take it out today.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the verdict is in...for me, anyway. ;)

The liquid detergent works very well, but not as well as the whitener. However, the soap is something that could be brushed onto things and work quite well, I think. Hell, even baby detergent glows a nice bright blue (and the soap itself is pink...go figure).

Thanks to one and all for all your help!
"Vincent" is coming along very nicely...I'll post some pics when he's 100% complete.

btw: I named him "Vincent" after my boyhood idol, Vincent Price. I think he'd be pleased. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have tried Tide, but I like the Rit Whitener best. I soaked for about an hour, and the results are perefect...... just like FATMAN's pic. :) H1
Yep, as stated above, I have to agree. I soaked mine for a little over 2 hours...dunno if that time makes much difference, but there you have it. Mine glows really bright now, too.

However, I may thin out some of the soap to brush onto various things...like maybe just a light dusting over Vincent's face and hands, just to give them a very slight glow. What can I say? I hate that yellow glow you get with real glow-in-the-dark paint, and florescent paint just looks cheap no matter what color you use.

HEH...who knew this would all turn out to be so scientific?? LOL

·
Registered
920 Posts
...... I may thin out some of the soap to brush onto various things...like maybe just a light dusting over Vincent's face and hands, just to give them a very slight glow. What can I say? I hate that yellow glow you get with real glow-in-the-dark paint, and florescent paint just looks cheap no matter what color you use.

HEH...who knew this would all turn out to be so scientific?? LOL
IC, that's a great idea. I will have to try.

By the way, I have heard you can take some of the mixture and write a message on things with it. I have never tried it, so I am not sure if it needs to be more concetrated, to achieve this effect.

I do know, if you plan to soak your item the day of Halloween....wear gloves- it will leave a residue on your hands...otherwise, they will have a ghostly glow under the black light.
:) H1

1 - 16 of 16 Posts