Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am in Australia and really do not have much time to stuff up. I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction to purchase a pumpkin carving set.

I am looking at an advanced set. (not just basic) I will have aprx 15 pumpkins to carve and really need to make sure its good as I can not just run out to the store and get another.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well, I make a lot of stencil pumpkins and you know what I use? A utility knife for stencling and a tablespoon to get everything scraped out of the pumpkin.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I use a variety of things to carve every year. I am NOT a good pumpkin carver tho...lol. Many times my pumpkins need duck tape surgery prior to going out on the front stoop. Having said that, I use a utility knife, a dremel, and a saws-all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok when i moved on to more intricate pumpkin carving i started using a mini wood carving set to get the details i wanted. it cuts through really precisely and easily. If you have a lot to carve i think it might be worth investing in some that i can get pretty good intricate detail with out too much effort.

Google mini wood carving kit, i can't post links yet! amazon have some for varying prices, if you can go to a shop and check the quality for yourself that would be preferable as some are really flimsy.

clean and oil the blades after use of they will rust!

I use a regular knife and serving spoon to hollow them out but having a selection of assorted SHARP blades is really handy and Zombie pumpkins gallery gives me loads of ideas for the designs.

Happy Carving.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,329 Posts
I use artist's tools. Linoleum block carvers, xacto knives, clay scribers, etc... available at any art supply store. A dremel too, sometimes.

And a big spoon for scraping out the guts. :D

·
Registered
315 Posts
I use artist's tools. Linoleum block carvers, xacto knives, clay scribers, etc... available at any art supply store. A dremel too, sometimes.

And a big spoon for scraping out the guts. :D
I was going to say linoleum carvers as well . I got this set for a pretty reasonable price . Blick Lino Cutter Set - BLICK art materials I also use a dremel as well but try it out on a practive pumpkin before you go crazy with it . ;)

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I'm happy with the saw-toothed pumpkin carving tools you can buy, have been for years.

I like the scrappers they make as well.

One of the members here, Dariusobells, has the assembly-line technique of pumpkin carving down pat. He cleans them out with a power drill and a metal paddle on the end, then does the faces with an electric jigsaw.
He can knock one out in less than five minutes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You lot are very creative. Must admit, I was expecting a few links to a few shops but you have all got me thinking. Thanks heaps. Dont think I will go to well with power tools but hey if the hubby stuffs up.. guess I finally have those body parts I have been missing.. ha. ha. ha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts