Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best prop of 2019? I'm speaking of props you can buy, not make. I try to start this thread every year so that some of us can list what we like and others can be reminded of something we may have missed that is awesome and still have the chance to buy it. The best prop of 2019 in my opinion is the animated pirate ship from Home Depot:

home-accents-holiday-halloween-props-9345-12303-64_1000.jpg

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I got the ship this year and it's a great "wow" prop but I'd have to give my nod to the accompanying Spyglass and Barrel Pirates for $99 for the best prop overall....Mostly because it's extremely versatile for the money.....They are basically 2- $30 skeletons but add flashing eyes and talking mouth, a metal tube inner structure through the "bones" for a ready to use standing skeleton....The sitting skeleton also has metal tubes in the upper half...Add the pirate clothing and periscope and barrel....I think it's a great deal for $99....They can also easily be retrofitted with different props or a different costume altogether for a different character....Anyway for the versatility, I think they are the winner for 2019 for me....ZR

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I own the animated ship and it is really cool. It just doesn't do much. I added voice to the captain and the ship goes up a down from wave simulation. I built a platform and cylinders push it upward. With these addons it is really great.

I thought Cagey the Clown is a great prop out of box. He moves side to side, his mouth moves, the girl in the cage rocks back and forth eyes lite up. It has a lot of animation and voice tracks and looks very good.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I bought this guy. Not from HD because they had sold out, but from Amazon. And it was cheaper on Amazon. I have him sitting by the front door and he has scared the beejeezus out of EVERYONE who has come to the door. Best investment this year. One Amazon delivery guy even said "this @#$% better not jump out at me" LOL. But that was before we got the bowl positioned correctly so it didn't jump out at him. He runs off batteries also which is a plus. Very, very happy with this.

·
Registered
13,763 Posts
If I didn't already have enough big props that I haven't been willing to part with yet, I would have added the HD pirate ship this year. Great presence in the yard and suprisingly well built from what I've seen and understand from those that own it now.

I love the look of Sam from Spirit. He came out very nice. Saw him in the store and just like I pictured him from the movie. While it wasn't being sold at my SH store, I'd give a big heads up to Hi-Rez's Shark tank projection that they used. Speaking of projections I was very impressed with AtmosFX's new clown one. When I do my carnvial hope to have it for then.

As for lighting I really like Gemmy's Vertigo + Skeleton light this year. Amazing they can do so much with creating different effects. The skeleton image can be blocked so you only get th swirling vertigo effect if you want. Picture it for time machines, tunnel effects, maybe even a carnival game wheel.

I never think to look at BedBathandBeyond for halloween. I believe the Aladdin's lamp that @matrixmom posted a photo of from them is the same one I bought last year from Lowes. Believe it's a Gemmy prop. Haven't used it yet but we have some distilled water for Gemmy's smoking beaker that I picked up from Joann's this year (Lowes also sold it this year). Very nice effect and for a small table top prop.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I'd have to go with the one that debbiedowner67 posted. I saw the one at Spirit this year and the darn thing scared the crap out of me. The pirate ship and accompanying skellies is cool too, but I love the scare factor of the scarecrow better. I don't have any startle props yet in my yard and I would love to have some. About the only way to make my own would be going pneumatic and I don't really like the sound of compressors going off. The sound of one would permeate half my town due to where my house is located and the way sound travels. I can hear cars and trucks on the interstate which is about a mile directly from my back deck. Then there is the expense of all the stuff needed for pneumatic props.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was sort of pissed when I saw the Pirate Ship and the 2 guys for $99 @ Home Depot because I was already about $500 in building my own pieces of a pirate ship scene LOL, and that one is better - I haven't figured out how to build my own animatronics yet so they have one-upped me already! That said, I thought the big animatronic werewolf @ HD was pretty cool!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Home-Accents-Holiday-7-ft-Towering-LED-Animatronic-Werewolf-Halloween-Prop-5124612/308486453?g_store=477&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-28_12_DECORATIVE_HOLIDAY-MULTI-HWN-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP_Halloween&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D28O-G-D28O-28_12_DECORATIVE_HOLIDAY-MULTI-HWN-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-BASE_SHP_Halloween-71700000042267042-58700005284838120-92700046770980949&gclid=Cj0KCQjwi7DtBRCLARIsAGCJWBpyKjLRB3JtUxrSNhvSxucvaLNfHMo7TkxjzJP8d021Kx8uCLwFSp8aAi6AEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree that the prop of the year is the HD pirate ship - I would have gotten it but I'm struggling with storage space and my Spirit Halloween bridge that I bought last year. My personal favorite item that I got this year was the ducky dolly prop - I love the duck!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Even though the Pirate ship box is enormous about 30lb is just cardboard. I threw the box out and when broken down it takes probably a 3x3 space stored pieces side by side. It takes about 5 min to assemble it back together with the side clips which is a fantastic idea. Not only is it prop of the year but the design is top notch as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Even though the Pirate ship box is enormous about 30lb is just cardboard. I threw the box out and when broken down it takes probably a 3x3 space stored pieces side by side. It takes about 5 min to assemble it back together with the side clips which is a fantastic idea. Not only is it prop of the year but the design is top notch as well.
I was wondering about that! Good to know they've given so much consideration to it!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I discarded my box right away too...I knew storage would be easier in pieces versus that big box....I also got rid of the headless horseman box though I'm not sure how storage is going to be with that one....ZR

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought this guy. Not from HD because they had sold out, but from Amazon. And it was cheaper on Amazon. I have him sitting by the front door and he has scared the beejeezus out of EVERYONE who has come to the door. Best investment this year. One Amazon delivery guy even said "this @#$% better not jump out at me" LOL. But that was before we got the bowl positioned correctly so it didn't jump out at him. He runs off batteries also which is a plus. Very, very happy with this.

I bought the sitting clown from Spirit at least a month ago. They had one in a box in a restricted area. So far everyone loves it. It has scared the crap out of me a few times. So far it looks like it won't rain Halloween night so I will be able to put it on the walk way since the rest of us will be in the garage. We are having a party on Saturday so we will have it in the house with candy in the bowl.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought the sitting clown from Spirit at least a month ago. They had one in a box in a restricted area. So far everyone loves it. It has scared the crap out of me a few times. So far it looks like it won't rain Halloween night so I will be able to put it on the walk way since the rest of us will be in the garage. We are having a party on Saturday so we will have it in the house with candy in the bowl.
Any animatronics I get i take the clothes and spray them with tent waterproofing. That way the water will just runoff and not soak through the clothes. I also cover the internal electronics with a thick plastic bag. So far in seven years, I have had any electronics go bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts