Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on where to purchase liquid latex, both skin safe & for prop making? I have searched the internet~so far everything I've found, the shipping costs are astronomical.
This is venturing into new territory for me, so I don't want to invest an arm & a leg (ah hmm) trying this out.
Thank you~punkineater

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,936 Posts
I've been getting Mold Builder latex for pumpkin corpsing from Michaels craft store. With a 40% off coupon it's about $13 for a 16oz jar. Probably could do better on Amazon if I was patient enough to wait for it to be shipped to me. Does not look to be made for prolonged skin contact though. Works great for props.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I've been getting Mold Builder latex for pumpkin corpsing from Michaels craft store. With a 40% off coupon it's about $13 for a 16oz jar. Probably could do better on Amazon if I was patient enough to wait for it to be shipped to me. Does not look to be made for prolonged skin contact though. Works great for props.
Nightfisher. A noob question. Can props coated with the latex be put outdoors in the weather for any length of time?

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
1,936 Posts
I'm a little new to it too, having just done a couple of corpsed pumpkins so far, but my understanding of it is that it's unaffected by rain and all but extreme heat and cold, but direct sunlight will break it down over time. Painting over it helps to protect it some, as will applying it on top of cotton, cloth, or other porous material, but just like latex or rubber masks they will still degrade over time if not properly cared for and stored. In other words, keep it in the shade as much as possible and store in a cool, dry place.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Nightfisher! Slim pickens around my area...we do have a Michael's in the next town over. That will be perfect for the prop projects.
I wanted to make some latex fingers & little things like that, so still searching for the 'safe on the skin' stuff. I also saw that Spirit does have such an product, but they're out of stock, and like mentioned in another thread, their shipping charges are horrendous!
Good questions, Hilda, for future reference.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Punkineater: I can't be of much help on latex sources (I get mine from Monster Makers) but I can pitch in on the other questions. I've used latex to cast heads for outdoor use over the past few years and they've held up very well. They're airbrushed using thinned latex-based paint (again, from Monster makers) which seems to hold up well. I haven't noticed any fading in the sun or damage from rain etc. I've also added paint right into the latex before using it to cast and it helps making the paint job a lot easier. Hope that helps! :)

Here's an example
2013-10-07 16.30.31.jpg

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The issue with latex is it's mostly water molecules, and over time the water evaporates out of the mixture and there's nothing left to hold the latex structure together and it crumbles and falls apart. Depending on the latex, thickness, environment, etc., this can happen as quickly as a year or two or a decade or two. As Intellagirl wrote, you can stave off the water loss by painting or sealing the latex, but from what I've seen of sealants they make the surface very shiny, almost like glass, and that doesn't work well on monsters. :)

There are a lot of companies that make latex paint that's supposed to be "specially formulated" for latex items such as masks, but my experience has been this is pretty much advertising hype. Latex paint is latex paint, and I've always used the latex house and wall paints they sell at Home Depot and Lowes on masks, latex molded parts, etc., and it works every bit as well as the "specially formulated" stuff. Even better, it's a LOT cheaper and you can get much better color matches at these stores than you can via a website... just be ready for some odd stares as you bring a monster into Home Depot to get colors matched. :) I needed some head paint for my Creature From The Black Lagoon, and brought the head and a section of skin in to match the colors to, and got lots of weird looks. But they got me the exact color I needed, and Home Depot sells sample size paints (about 1/2 pint) for $2.99, so if you just need enough to paint say a head and arms, you don't have to pay $10 for a quart.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought 5 gallons from friend's beauty supply with shipping they seemed to be the most economical
DeltaGirl~you nailed it for me! I called Frend's Beauty in North Hollywood, CA, just to be sure I was purchasing the correct product. The person in the FX dept was SO informative & helpful. I dove in with an order of 1 gal with very reasonable shipping charges of $8+change. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I know that where you live in the US, or elsewhere, is a huge factor on determining shipping $.
Thanks to EVERYBODY who shared their tips & recommendations~ALL of this information is so useful!!!

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Depending on how much you need I've found that most good craft/hobby stores carry pints and quarts. If you're in need of gallons, I recommend http://www.monstermakers.com/

They are also very helpful with general questions, feel free to give them a call.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts