Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to this medium and would love some ideas on the best recipe for the paste. I found one that sounds pretty simple and good which is 1 cup elmers glue, 1 cup corn starch and 1 cup water. Any other recipes would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone, audible

·
Registered
340 Posts
hi audible, I use only water and elmers. Usually in a 1 part glue to 2 part water but I've heard that some people go up to 1 part glue to 5 parts water. 1:2 has been working great for me :) I'm not sure what the starch is for but I'd love to know too.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
I just used half water and half Elmers, on my spell book I created - and used papertowel instead of newspaper. Not sure if I did it right but it came out nice - it's amazing how hard it is!! I didn't realize it'd come out so hard! I love it!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I just made a skull by taking a cardboard beverage holder, tearing it up and placing it in a blender with water to get "pulp". No glue was added. Then I put the pulp in a strainer to drain off excess water. I used my fingers to wring out more water and then used my fingers to place the pulp on my the skull that had been previously covered with aluminum foil. The trick is not getting the pulp too dry or too wet.....you want it a *little* loose to work with, but NOT runny or it won't stay on. As I applied the pulse I'd use my fingers/palms to press out a lot more of the water.

Using this method, I could shape the eyes and add features on the fly. It was easy, messy and fun.

Afterwards I put it on some paper towels and in the convection oven on 150F.

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
I used celluclay the other day, its basically powered newspaper, it really did feel like clay after I mixed it, I guess paper mache is more cost effective though, celluclay cost about 5 bucks a pound. I never used paper mache, now I know the recipe, thanks ya alls for your inputs.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I'm in the process of papier macheing now, and I'm using the 1:1:1 ratio of Elmer's glue, water and corn starch. I don't know what the corn starch is for either but one of the members recently posted a great prop and had used this recipe.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,287 Posts
I've used the flour/water/salt (salt to retard mold) mix, the half glue/water mix, with shredded newspaper or phone book paper and tried to make the clay pulp with dryer lint (good for recycling). Never used the store-bought celluclay but tempted since it's supposed to be so great to work with.

To waterproof, I've used layers of latex/acrylic paint alone. As long as you've got good coverage, the paint dries to a polymer and will keep out most moisture. I imagine you could use a sealant like polyurethane to do a better protective coat and also protect your paint job as well.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
I loooves Celluclay! It's made of paper fibers and plaster, so only mix as much as you can use in 15 or so minutes.

I'm using 1:1:1 corn starch, white glue and water on a Barney right now. It's good to work with, and dries rather quickly. I believe the starch adds to the stiffness. I'm using "package wrapping paper" for the paper component.

·
Reaper Queen
8,722 Posts
I too love celluclay, but have used the elmers/water mixute, don't know what ratio, just pour til it feels right! I have used newspaper and also papertowels. I paint my project then use a matt finish clear spray, and use several coats, so far so good (fingers crossed)--and last year it poured, and every thing is still good! Some times I have sprayed some camp dry I have in the house, a water proofing sparay that is used to water proof tents,

·
Creepy Clown Is Redundant
642 Posts
I went with the Stolloween recipe since it looks like it works for them. I found out starch (like for clothes ) is made from cornstarch. I bought the insulation stuff they use to make clay, works great. It's basically paper pulp already made for you , cost $10 for a huge block of it. If your not familiar with it check out STOLLOWEEN .

·
Registered
594 Posts
I use Stolloweens recipe too, and find it FAR superior to elmers/water. It dries faster due to the starch, is MUCH harder due to the flour, and is oh-so-much easier to work with during application. I do more papier mache than any other medium, and just would not use anything else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here's the great thing about this thread...everybody is right. There is really no "right" or "best" recipe for papier mache, they all work...paste recipes seem to be a matter of personal preference...or whatever you have available when you start creating.

Try one of the recipes and if you like it then go with it. Have fun!

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
I am hoping I can find the time to play with some mache this weekend. I finally found the liquid starch (after going to 9 different stores) and will follow stolloween's recipe.

If anything turns out good - I will take pics and post them. If not - forget I even posted in this thread. ROFL

·
AntiChrist Superstar
1,418 Posts
My celluclay Zero took 3 days to dry, its been so damp this week, I just did the second and hopefully last touchup layer, hopefully I will be sanding him down this weekend.

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I use Celluclay, but I add Elmers for strength, a drop or two of dish soap to prevent stickiness and I heavily salt the water to prevent mold.

I add details with Paperclay, then I cover it with "Sculpt or Coat."

These are for smaller items, stuff no larger than a cubic foot. For larger items using strip paper, I'd use one part Elmer's wood glue with one part salt water and cornstarch. I personally feel that flour is the early solution, before real glue and wallpaper paste were cheap.
Flour attracts weevils and other critters - no thanks.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
Ya know, Wristslitter, I was thinking 3 days is crazy long to dry... Then I realized I was thinking about Sculptamold, not Celluclay! Sculptamold is cellulose and plaster.

I loves Celluclay, but I really loves Sculptamold!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts