Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make my own flying crank ghost this year, and I want him to be the brightest green possible...

does anyone have any suggestions for paint?

I searched thru the threads but everyone's ghost is blue...my mausoleum and graveyard will be mostly blue, which is why I want a super bright GREEN ghost. :D
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Mr. Chicken. I may see what Michaels has and was thinking about the marker trick...
Thanks, Ugly Joe, but I think that powder is more for glow-in-the-dark, as opposed to UV/blacklight reactive paint...I know I've seen the UV powder somewhere though :eek:

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
The cans of glow in the dark paint sold at retail stores glows a real nice green under black lites.I am not sure how it would work on cheesecloth tho.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Thanks, Mr. Chicken. I may see what Michaels has and was thinking about the marker trick...
Thanks, Ugly Joe, but I think that powder is more for glow-in-the-dark, as opposed to UV/blacklight reactive paint...I know I've seen the UV powder somewhere though :eek:
Like Mr_Chicken said, phosphorescent materials will glow well under blacklight.
Admittedly, that powder's not the cheapest route to take, and the highlighter-in-water idea has been proven to work - and in fact, that may keep the fabric nice and loose once it dries out, so I think Mr_Chicken's got the right idea.

I think paint, however, is just going to make your cheesecloth too stiff for a good ghost.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I may have to try the highlighter in water...the paint is going to make the cloth too stiff as you said...Terra, the water dye looked promising and cheap, and i was actually going to order some then realized that they they don't have it in green...:(
Well, I'll try the same with the green markers, that should work...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, Daddy, not sure about the whole process, but think it involves taking the innards out of a green UV highlighter marker and putting it into bucket of water for a couple of days, thereby making your own water base green dye

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
A thought comes to mind on the cloth - pick up something that is more natural fiber than synthetic, as a lot of the synthetic white cloth has phosphorous in it, which glows blue under blacklight.
Also, if you find you need to wash the cloth, make sure any detergent used doesn't have any "bluing" in it - once again, phosphorus (the bluing is used to make "whites look whiter" - a trace of blue makes white cloth look more white to the human eye).

The "old highlighter trick" everyone mentions is just as you said davy - crack open a highlighter, and dump the contents (ink and felt both) into a bucket of water...add the cloth, let it soak for a while, remove and let dry.
Hopefully enough of the highlighter will stick to the cloth to give the green glow you want.

I like your thinking on this one - the green ghost should really "pop" visually, against all that blue.
(just a thought - perhaps a green LED pin spotlight shining up underneath the ghost will help, in addition to your blacklight glow)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Ugly! I appreciate your suggestions...I'm wonderin how well that highlighter water bucket thingy will work...hopefully it will be fine, the U/V paints are expensive, not to mention they'll probably ruin the flow of the fabric by stiffening it too much, I'd imagine

·
Registered
543 Posts
I don't have my UV reactive sample kit with me, but I think ammonia based cleaners will glow green (I only had one to try and no plain ammonia).

·
The Evil Apparitionist
555 Posts
I use the highlighter method every year on my FCG and to put in a small spray bottle to accent gravestones buckys & things. I also fill my skull fountain with a concentrated solution to get a glowing green mist from the mister. I use two marker guts to a quart, hot or warm water speeds things up a bit. I would try spraying multiple coats on the cheescloth and letting it dry in between to build up layers. Flourescent colors are funny animals, they do not look the same under UV so you have to tweak the mix to get a good solid color.

You might also want to try some Clearneon spray from these guys: Green Aerosol ClearNeon MatteClearneon Invisible Black light Paint

It's $24 a bottle but you can find it cheaper if you google it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I tried the sharpies, but did not put it in a spray bottle like Homey did
( good idea, Homey), so it came out rather uneven as far as the color; I finally dragged out my blacklight to take a look last night...it's okay, I can still use the cheesecloth...however, I did splurge and bought a can 'o Clearneon green...yeah, kind of pricey, but it looks like it will work well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts