Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather was perfect it was warmish all day, no rain or wind, my daughter was able to stay and helps eat up in the morning . My friend who does lighting for rock shows was able to come and set up the lights. We gave over 173 treat bags. Over 20 little toys to the first young ones too scared to walk to the house and had a ton of kids who came to play and not take treats. Many adults came. After 13 years this was the best halloween night. Everyone Realy enjoyed there time. I will post some pics and want to know how everyone else's night went.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That's awesome! We ended up with great weather last night here in southern Ontario as well! Very happy about that!
Great that you had good weather in Cambridge. Here in Pickering it poured again for the third year in a row and was freezing cold. Had to put up tents to cover some props and keep the rain off of us. Turnout was way down over other years.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Yes. FINALLY the weather gave us a break. It was nippy, but after the snowstorm, hurricane and torrential rain of the past three Halloweens... it was GREAT! The kids were out in droves and I ran out of the full size bars with an hour left to go. By the end I was giving out my son's lunchbox items (prepackaged snacks). LOL All in all, It was a wonderful night.
I am happy for you that got a break this year. I feel bad for those dealing with rain again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Turnout was disappointing this year. Easily the worst I can recall. Weather turned cold (for North Texas anyway), but it wasn't that bad. Add in a strong wind that played havoc with the props all night, and it was a bit of a bummer. My son thought the older kids may have had other plans since it was Friday night. Dunno. Talked to some relatives in the area and all reported low turn-outs.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Turnout was disappointing this year. Easily the worst I can recall. Weather turned cold (for North Texas anyway), but it wasn't that bad. Add in a strong wind that played havoc with the props all night, and it was a bit of a bummer. My son thought the older kids may have had other plans since it was Friday night. Dunno. Talked to some relatives in the area and all reported low turn-outs.
I have seen on the board that many people had a lower turn out. I really wonder why? We had less, too. And bought more candy, as we were sure a friday halloween would bring droves of ToTs.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Great that you had good weather in Cambridge. Here in Pickering it poured again for the third year in a row and was freezing cold. Had to put up tents to cover some props and keep the rain off of us. Turnout was way down over other years.
Oh no! That's horrible! It was spitting until about 7 and then it was beautiful.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I made a few posts about the evening already (rainy day, drizzle and rain picked up after 8 but we had just under 100). Not a bad night. Three things stood out for me, the little girl who wouldn't come into the courtyard because of the werewolf, the little boy who was mesmerized by the werewolf getting triggered and stood there watching for a long time, and lastly a total surprise, an older teen who came up the sidewalk on his scooter and asked us if we were the house that had the ghost lady in our window previously. We told him we were. We had a stationary UV lit lifesize poster ghost in one window and last year had Rona the ghost maid in our other window. He said gee what happened to her this year. He looked for her. .......ahhhh, at that moment I could have given him a hug. I said we didn't have a projector to use this year. And then my husband interjected "but well see about one for next year. Hope to see you back". We asked him if he wanted some candy and he said "no that's okay" and scootered on off.

This is the second time we've had kids come out right and tell us they've looked for our projections. Overheard one commenting to kids in the street another year that this was the house that had this big moving eye last year (Hallowindows, our first year doing a projection). I keep bugging hubby to buy a projector that has a lot of lumens (the window gets lit from street lights) so we'll see. He's been borrowing an office one and this year didn't ask.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Our weather in Central Florida was perfect as if the Halloween gods had ordained them. My first ever Crypt, which stood in the driveway to the side of the graveyard, was soon dubbed "the scary house." We had a HUGE turnout of kids of all ages, all colors, all races, all languages; a ton of teens - same thing. And adults too. Some kids were way too scared to enter. Many others, though, came back to go through it again since it was, as they kept saying "way cool!" One lady stopped to tell me how we had scared everyone on the street last year, and even though she had moved, she had to come back to see what we were doing this year. I played a demented doctor with shots and chainsaws; Rose (she whom the graveyard is named after) was the most convincing scarecrow (she designed her character from the scarecrows in an episode of Doctor Who) you've ever seen haunting a cornfield we made just outside my crypt. She said she used the sounds of my ghoul laugh, chainsaw, and - of course - Cleo, my jumping spider to cue her to the coming victims. My favorite guest was a lady named Linda, who showed up just about the time we were closing down. She said her neice told her ours was a place she had to see, so she wandered down for a tour. I don't know how many guests we entertained, or exactly how much candy we gave out. All I know is that the night was a total blast!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Had a pretty great night overall. Weather was very good, pretty chilly but no wind and no rain/snow.
Had a few snafus along the way. WIth everything full up tested the night and days before ToT, right at 6pm I go to fill the maze with fog and my Hurricane 1300 decides not to work, even though the light is on. Had to scramble and pull out a retired Kmart special 400 watt fogger. Luckily it worked and got me through the night but with less fog than I would like. At about 7:15 the fishing line to the head of the FCG snaps and pulls the lexon cam right off the motor. I see a FCG rebuild in my future.
But, had a great turnout. Lots of great comments. Had some teenagers come through, who didn't ToT, but only came to my house. From them I heard awesome nostalgic comments such as "The most scared I've ever been in my life was here" and "This was my childhood, but I'm more scared now". From another group one kid said "you get better at this every year". Each kid only gets one piece of candy, and I bought 170 pieces and my sister brought about 250 pieces by the end there were about 20 pieces left. I was stuck throwing the switch in the Electrocution chamber, but my sister was able to get a pic of the line waiting to get into the "haunted house".
line at tot small.jpg
Here is a video of my Maze and Electrocution chamber on a night before full up test.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFeZOslkeCM

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
That all sounds like a great time, Davy! For you and everyone else.
Every October inspires me to come up with new ideas as to what I will be doing in the first room of The Ravens Grin, and this year was no exception.
"Simple" is Always so much fun (and usually costs very little) This time it cost nothing!
I was giving maybe a 20 minute routine in the first room covering a lot of information concerning the history and haunted history of this house and then I elaborate upon my own personal history here along those sames lines.
People are laughing, some expressing some fear along the presentation's points, some are laughing at other people's reactions in the room.
I bring it all to a conclusion, turn on the lights, point out a few things in the room they couldn't see in the dim lighting. I say,"This way.'
They all get up and begin moving towards me as I stand at the door then I pull the door closed quickly (it was only open a few inches) as I kill the lights and loudly emit a maniacal loud laugh!
Some people's knees buckle. confusion reigns!
It all happens so quickly that even the screamers in the room can't scream!
Lights back on as quickly as they left us.
Can it ever get any simpler? I am Still laughing!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Was a pretty great night! I was super stressed about the rain and had our first ever back yard walk through covered with plastic sheeting until about 4 pm. BUt then I started quickly pulling off the plastic, turning on lights, and voila--- a magical transformation.

I think we had 200 as that is how many glow sticks I gave out- and I did not give them to every single person---mostly just the kids. Can't wait to share video and pictures- which I also somehow managed to squeeze in around dusk!

Already dreaming of next year---- going to really amp up my seance scene and maybe add a haunted nursery with creepy dolls!

GOS it's so cool when they remember your house! We got that too- We got a lot of "WOW- you really went all out this year!" as well. Makes it ALLLLL worth it!

·
For Your Demonic Needs!
1,254 Posts
We had a mix of rain and snow and lots of super strong winds. My wife was sick so we stayed home and watched the Alfred Hitchcock Marathon and enjoyed our Halloween decorations we made ourselves. Despite her being sick we still had fun though. :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts