Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I need extra fog juice in a jiffy, are there any "local store" brands that are better than others? And also price.
Seems that Spirit sells one gallon of whatever its brand is for $20. Same for Party City.

Of any local retail source, which is best and why? I've typically gone with "generic" fog juice from wherever and had no issues, e.g. from Party City, etc.

Don't think I'm at the level of a Froggy's Fog customer quite yet. Although if I did have to purchase online, what are some other good sources re: price / quality. But mostly price. Cheap has always seemed to work fine for my yard haunt.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For Amazon / online, would be great to order something having Amazon Prime free shipping.

If I need extra fog juice in a jiffy, are there any "local store" brands that are better than others? And also price.
Seems that Spirit sells one gallon of whatever its brand is for $20. Same for Party City.

Of any local retail source, which is best and why? I've typically gone with "generic" fog juice from wherever and had no issues, e.g. from Party City, etc.

Don't think I'm at the level of a Froggy's Fog customer quite yet. Although if I did have to purchase online, what are some other good sources re: price / quality. But mostly price. Cheap has always seemed to work fine for my yard haunt.

·
black light queen
2,606 Posts
there was someone who i found through this forum i think that sold fog concentrate ... you just mixed it with distilled water

i tired some last year and it was really good ... instead of using water, you can use "cheap" fog juice that you can score on the after halloween sales instead ... so you get a more concentrated solution ... i only did this because the cheap juice was next to worthless and i wasn't going to get rid of it ... i think i paid $5 for a gallon of the cheap stuff ... got what i paid for, lol

i also recommend froggy's ... you should try some ... wither froggy's or the concentrate ... when you see the good stuff in person, you'll never go back to the cheap junk

amk

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks AMK. Will have to take a second look at Froggy's.

there was someone who i found through this forum i think that sold fog concentrate ... you just mixed it with distilled water

i tired some last year and it was really good ... instead of using water, you can use "cheap" fog juice that you can score on the after halloween sales instead ... so you get a more concentrated solution ... i only did this because the cheap juice was next to worthless and i wasn't going to get rid of it ... i think i paid $5 for a gallon of the cheap stuff ... got what i paid for, lol

i also recommend froggy's ... you should try some ... wither froggy's or the concentrate ... when you see the good stuff in person, you'll never go back to the cheap junk

amk

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can't beat froggys fog juice, I love the thickness and lasting time for their backbay formula. It goes further than the stuff you buy in stores

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a recipe online for making your own. I believe it is glycerin and distilled water. The glycerin you can buy at any pharmacy type store. It is really cheap to do it this way and works very well.

·
Registered
438 Posts
When I had a $30 fogger, I used the cheap stuff and it seemed fine. I've always wondered if there are any downsides to cheap juice, as in machine-damaging, or if fog juice (in general) goes bad?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I get so stuff from guitar center. Good quality juice at a reasonable price.
Thanks ZT, FH, Jenn, and Ken. @ZT, hadn't thought of Guitar Center as a local source--but I have both a local Guitar Center and a Sam Ash. So thanks for the suggestion. For now, I ended-up using a 30% off coupon this weekend at a local Spirit Halloween. At that discount, I walked out with a gallon of their fog juice for about $15.

Looking at what I used last year, I had a gallon from Party City. Worked fine for my purposes.

Some day I'll give Froggy's a try. Seems like where Froggy's really shines is for interior haunts. Evidently their formula was created for people with asthma in mind. With my yard haunt, no one seems to inhale any fog. The winds seem to blow it away from trick-or-treaters anyway and then it dissipates.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
We should work out a geographical group buy system for consumable Halloween goods like Froggy's. That way if you know you've got like 50 haunters in your area, the fifty can band together to buy fog juice.

Another option might be approaching a local commercial haunt and see if they'd be willing to order a extra gallon or three of what they use, for a finder's fee, of course.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Regarding the music stores, I had picked up 2 gallons one year ($20 ea) from I think it was Sam Ash (the label had a stage and entertainers on it) and that stuff was useless. The output was moderate and didn't linger at all. I picked up some backup juice from Target last year and found it to be very thick. With all of that said though, I'm going to order some Froggy's based on all of the feedback found in these forums. Keep in mind Froggy's has different formulas and sometimes you need to for sure use a chiller to get the best effect.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a stock of froggy's swamp and freezing. I do not want to run out and use something of a lesser quality in a pinch. I think I have a reserve of 6 gallons. I am not buying any this year as to diminish my stored fog juice. Why wait for a crisis when you can spend the money now and know it will keep and be available?

·
Registered
500 Posts
My first fog juice was from Target a couple of years ago, and it worked well; I read afterwards that a number of people consider Target fog juice to be better than other cheap ones. My comparison is between that and Froggy's, so I can't say from personal experience how it holds up against other cheap brands, but it's probably a pretty safe bet.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My first fog juice was from Target a couple of years ago, and it worked well; I read afterwards that a number of people consider Target fog juice to be better than other cheap ones. My comparison is between that and Froggy's, so I can't say from personal experience how it holds up against other cheap brands, but it's probably a pretty safe bet.
I may never buy from Froggy's again on principle. They refused to provide a refund on the "neutral" fog scent sampler. I was looking for a scent that smelled like fresh dirt; was hoping one of the four would work. None gave the scent I desired. Froggy's refused to give me a refund since they'd been opened due to "health and safety precautions", offering only a 20% discount on another product. I consider it ~$40 + shipping gone "poof" forever.

Is it WellingingtonFragances.com where people are getting their inexpensive fragrance oils like Rich Potting Soil, Cotton Candy, Popcorn, etc, at around $3 per ounce? I'm looking forward to trying those in an inexpensive Hazer I don't use very often.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's sad to hear about froggys, I have only received outstanding service from them over the years I have used them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I may never buy from Froggy's again on principle. They refused to provide a refund on the "neutral" fog scent sampler. I was looking for a scent that smelled like fresh dirt; was hoping one of the four would work. None gave the scent I desired. Froggy's refused to give me a refund since they'd been opened due to "health and safety precautions", offering only a 20% discount on another product. I consider it ~$40 + shipping gone "poof" forever.
I guess I'm not really surprised that they didn't refund you on the sampler, but I am surprised they didn't give you any guidance; this seems like it should be a pretty normal (for haunters, at least :D), straightforward question, and it's odd that they couldn't tell you which of their scents would get you in the ballpark, or at least point you somewhere that might have what you want. That's sad.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I'm not really surprised that they didn't refund you on the sampler, but I am surprised they didn't give you any guidance; this seems like it should be a pretty normal (for haunters, at least :D), straightforward question, and it's odd that they couldn't tell you which of their scents would get you in the ballpark, or at least point you somewhere that might have what you want. That's sad.
Thanks Ken and CDW. All I really wanted was a strong Dirt / Soil smell; also, possibly strong fresh cut grass. I just placed a big order with WellingtonFragrance.com--their fragrance oils - body oil grade. You also get to choose three free 1/2 fragrance oils for orders under $50 upon check-out. So I added Leather, Rain, and Cedar.

Here are the ones I ordered. Didn't see Popcorn in stock:

Pumpkin Fragrance Oil (Body Oil - 1/2 oz.)
spu2 $1.55 1 $1.55

Spanish Moss Fragrance Oil (Body Oil - 1/2 oz.)
sspa2 $1.55 1 $1.55

Candy Corn Fragrance Oil (Body Oil - 1/2 oz.)
scand2 $1.55 1 $1.55

Dirt Fragrance Oil (Body Oil - 1/2 oz.)
sdir2 $1.55 1 $1.55

Rich Potting Soil Fragrance Oil (Body Oil - 1/2 oz.)
srps2 $1.55 1 $1.55

Campfire Fragrance Oil (Manufactures - 1/2 oz.)
cam2 $1.45 1 $1.45

Fresh Cut Grass Fragrance Oil (Body Oil - 1/2 oz.)
sgr2 $1.55 1 $1.55

Cotton Candy Fragrance Oil (Body Oil - 1/2 oz.)
scot2 $1.55 1 $1.55

Sounds like, from what I've read elsewhere on the Forums, that Rich Potting Soil + Fresh Cut Grass may get me what I want. The price was right and should be fun to experiment.

But I thought people should know Froggy's doesn't do returns on fog scent additives. Perhaps I missed it, but I believe they ought to add in prominent text somewhere on their web site about All Sales Final on the fog scents. Perhaps it does say that and I wasn't paying attention? Perhaps it ought to be common sense. But I simply presumed there would be a Satisfaction Guarantee on everything they sold, based on the praise I've heard about their customer service. You know what they same about presuming. Most solid businesses will do whatever it takes to make things right. Oh well, I learned an expensive lesson.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'd definitely be interested to see what you find; I've always been wary of putting anything other than fog juice in my foggers, but I don't really care for the smell of plain fog, even the high-quality stuff, so if there's an easy way to make it smell more thematically appropriate, I'd love to give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also wondering who Froggy's competitors are in the Fog space. Since I got burned, as a matter of principle I'd prefer to shop elsewhere.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I stumbled on a Guitar Center sale they have every year just a week or 2 before Halloween they have "Black Label Premium" fog juice for about $25 but it is a buy one get one free deal so a gallon works out to be about $13 bucks and I've found it to be much better than other brands I tried.
I go there every year and purchase 2 to 4 gallons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts