Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I've lit my cemetery with a red spotlight but want a change. I'm leaning towards blue but I'd like to ask everyone for their opinion as to what is the best lighting (single color) for tombstones. If you can provide photos that would be great. I've got all new stones this year so I really want to display them in a decent light.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I love the saturated blue you get from blue LED lights along with the yellow/orange you get from flickering candles. The house itself is washed with a yellow LED and the landscape lighting was switched out to red bulbs. Together I just loved the supernatural/spooky feel it gave to the whole yard. Oh, and also had a lightning show:

Here's a vid:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Last year I mixed them up, lighting different areas with different colors. One each, red, blue and green to kind of go with the themes. I'm very partial to the green cast on fog. This year I'm thinking it'll be more red, orange and yellow - once you've got these stake fixtures it's so easy to change colors and light up the whole place. Having some contrasting color is nice, like the porch and purple lights along the walkway here:

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,489 Posts
Whatever you decide, try not to over-light it. A spooky graveyard lit up like a Christmas display kind of defeats the purpose. We've gradually decreased our lighting over the years and are happy with a "darker display" that has varying degrees of light/shadow.

This is what we've done using colored flood lights alone. I lean towards amber and blue

Last year we went with blue led spots from Spirit. Really like this look too.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I like the main areas in blue or green with reds or yellow for emphasis. Welcome to the Haunt.jpg

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,100 Posts
here's my first cemetery before I knew anything :)eek:) regular blue floods:
DSC_0244.jpg

Here's the next year blue LED floods, lanterns with led timer candles. The LED's give rich color, but blur the image from a distance. I had to add some white in spots so people could see the skellies for example. Or maybe Im just blind.:D

DSC_0461.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! This is very helpful. I think blue is the way to go for me this year. I really like that look. And I agree with you, Jdubbya, over-lighting just ruins the effect.

·
Registered
117 Posts
We switched to a blue flood from a red flood- big improvement! Through the fog, the cooler tones looked more like moonlight and gave a more subdued lighting effect. DSC_0001+%u00255B1600x1200%u00255D.JPG
This pic was taken without the foggers, so it's brighter.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Last year I used a new LED spotlight from Blisslights - I have had their pinpoint laser lights for a few years and use them instead of Xmas lights. The spotlight came with a remote to allow numerous color changes; you could set it one color or have it cycle through the spectrum. I wish I had seen what it could do before - I would have bought more! They're not inexpensive lights as they are used commercially but I got mine on sale at The Shopping Channel. I had lots of comments on the lighting for my small cemetery scene. I have also bought the LED spotlights at Lowes that they sell at Xmas; I have the sensor ones and they came with colored lens covers. They're all plastic but they work great and for the price are a good deal. I use some of them year round to light up some of my landscape.

bliss spotlight.jpg

IMGP2847.jpg

IMGP2857.jpg

IMGP2853.jpg

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking about getting one of those RGB LED spots since it offers so many color options in one light.

I'm incorporating a fog chiller this year so I think the blue will really make my cemetery complete this year.

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Cold, cold blue, with just one or two special tombstones (or other landmarks) highlighted with a warm color like yellow, orange, or red.
I generally do everything blue and have one or two lanterns with a warm color.

For sure, read the link that Pumpkinhead posted. It is the holy grail of haunt lighting.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up buying an RGB spotlight, similar to the one that PoCoHauntGal posted above. And thanks for the link on lighting, PH! I'm off to read it now.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Oooo, oo oo oo oo: This is lurvly:

That's pretty much perfect, in my book.

For Halloween outdoor setups, I like blue best, followed by green - and purple is pretty good, too. Red strikes me as too Christmassy, or it could become Christmassy in a heartbeat.

Wait, I just thought of the fact that my Christmas tree lights are 65% blue. *shrug* oh well! Cant beat that blue LED color.

·
Registered
258 Posts
This isn't mine but the green looks great with the house. I think you need to consider your yard, space and architecture of your home. What works for one may not be the best for you. I love this though.
green yard.jpg

1 - 20 of 55 Posts