Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year we set up a vortex using a pen style laser. After 90 minutes of changing batteries, I gave it up. Lotsa other stuff go in' on, don't ha know...
what do you guys recommend for this year? I'm thinking something 110 Volt...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wolfman, I also too use the pen for my lasers. My first design used an old PC power supply to power fan that had angled mirror VIA the 12 volt side, and powered the pen laser with the 3.3 volt side. I removed battery base and soldered the wires directly. Now it being a Laser it does get hot. So I have mine mounted in an old PC Heat sink with another small fan cooling the laser. It never loses Brightness, never stops due to batteries dead. I have had mine 8 years now and it is still going strong! this picture doesn't show second fan but was added later when the laser performance dropped due to heat! 100_0842.jpg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would like a "HOW TO". Using only a basic laser pointer is very inexpensive (if this works I could mount multiple lasers with different colors). Do you have to use a PC power supply? If so, I can build a water resistant box whereby all of the components will be protected from rain or snow.

I am eager to learn! Please pm me or post on this thread! I love it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
The pens are a pain. I ended up taking apart one of those dj stage lasers from ebay (about $12) If you search red green laser stage light it comes up)
All you do is open it up, Disconnect the red laser plug, Remove the defuser lens on the front one the case and disconnect the spin motor inside. Then you have a fan cooled box you can apply to the piece of 2x4 to aim at the mirror. I was considering selling my old one. I have 4 of them in my garage. I moved up to lightorama and really do not use the laser vortex's that much anymore. But they are cheap to make with that stage laser. It comes with the plug and is fan cooled so you never have to worry about overheating.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just search this on ebay,

Mini LED R&G Laser Projector Stage Lighting Adjustment DJ Disco Party Club Black

It is only $11.98 shipped. It's about 4" x 5.5" Really easy to take apart. I will have to find my old pictures I took while I made one. It was really easy to do. I don't remember if I posted them on here or not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The pens are a pain. I ended up taking apart one of those dj stage lasers from ebay (about $12) If you search red green laser stage light it comes up)
All you do is open it up, Disconnect the red laser plug, Remove the defuser lens on the front one the case and disconnect the spin motor inside. Then you have a fan cooled box you can apply to the piece of 2x4 to aim at the mirror. I was considering selling my old one. I have 4 of them in my garage. I moved up to lightorama and really do not use the laser vortex's that much anymore. But they are cheap to make with that stage laser. It comes with the plug and is fan cooled so you never have to worry about overheating.
Thanks for sharing! One question: why did you move up to lightorama? Is there an advantage using this model versus what you used on the past?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks for sharing! One question: why did you move up to lightorama? Is there an advantage using this model versus what you used on the past?
Sorry, I meant my time is more occupied working on lightorama for holiday sequences (Making lights dance to the music)
Lightorama is light programming software & Light controllers. Mainly for Christmas lights. I am more of what you would call an extreme holiday decorator. However I use the light programming software and controllers for both Halloween & Christmas.
I just focus more on syncing the lights to music now so I have been weeding out some of my older props for halloween and putting on a light show for the entire month of October that people can park in the field across the street and tune in on their radios to watch the display come alive set to the music.

I just meant I don't really use the vortex anymore since I am so preoccupied with designing my light shows now. Lightorama has nothing to do with the vortex. I just became one of those 50,000 lights on the house for Christmas people lol.
If you look at the following video, You will see the pumpkins, grave stones, grave perimeters and even the fence line and house trim lights flashing to the music. That was done using lightorama controllers and software and alot of programming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCwpcBvEVGI

1 - 12 of 12 Posts