Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I tried carving a funkin last night and also a paper mache pumpkin with a Dremel. I was able to do both part way but I had to be so very careful and use 2 hands like my hubby showed me (helped a lot) but I hate the dust, and once or twice it grabbed my work and dug a big chunk out. So I was thinking of investing in a hot knife. Do any of you have any pointers or brands that you would recommend or not recommend?
Thanks,
Ellie

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I have the Hot Wire Foam Factory Pro set, I have only used it on foam. I am not sure they are intended for paper mache or plastic? I have used my wood burner on plastic.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Trex,
If you could only have one knife what length would you get? 4" or 6" or 8" ? I plan on using it most on the funkins. I think I am going to break out my gourd carving saw for the paper Mache.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
It really depends on what you want to use it for, we use ours on tombstones, wall panels, things like that. If you do a lot of these kinds of projects I would recommend the 8" blade with the pro set, it really speeds up the process. If you are more into smaller more detailed things like cutting out shapes etc, then I would recommend the crafters set. I have to say we love our Hot Wire Foam set, it is more money than some others, but works well.

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,162 Posts
I bought the hot knife from Harbor Freight tools, and it works great cutting foam. A lot times they have a coupon and you can get it at reduced price. I also have the woodturning tool from Michael's (had a 50% off 1 item) and I have used on funkins, but its slow -go. Plus you still have to wear a heavy duty mask because of the toxic fumes. I prefer doing it with the dremel and the snake attachment if you don't have it already: its a lot easier to do any carving with this tool. I usually do it in the back yard so the dust goes there.

dremel-B0000302Y8-1-lg.jpg

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,774 Posts
I recently tried a razertip wood burning tool on pink foam for a project my daughter was doing at school. It was fantastic for detail work once I found the temperature setting that worked best. (2 minute trial time max) It was not very efficient enough cutting through 2" foam.

http://www.amazon.com/RAZERTIP-DUAL-BURNER-W-PEN/dp/B0002IXT30

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I bought the hot knife from Harbor Freight tools, and it works great cutting foam. A lot times they have a coupon and you can get it at reduced price. I also have the woodturning tool from Michael's (had a 50% off 1 item) and I have used on funkins, but its slow -go. Plus you still have to wear a heavy duty mask because of the toxic fumes. I prefer doing it with the dremel and the snake attachment if you don't have it already: its a lot easier to do any carving with this tool. I usually do it in the back yard so the dust goes there.
Agreed I love the snake attachment, it makes carving so much easier!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
IMHO, I don't thick any of the Hot Wire Foam Factory's products are going to cut the Funkin's very well. The funkin foam is very different then the extruded insulation sheets, it's closer to greatstuff which is not recommended to use the wire cutters, fumes and flammable. Even their Industrial knife on a funkin is funky.
If you do purchase a HWFF tool, for funkin's I would suggest the pro power box so you can adjust the temp. For full disclosure, I do not work for any of the foam cutting tool companies, but do own products by most of them (yes, tool freak). Suggest you shoot HWFF the question.

I think some members use electric carving knives with success.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you trex and matrix mom for your replies. I will let you know what way I go. It is interesting Matrixmom that you suggested the snake attachment because that is also what my husband suggested. Is it really easier to control that way? And I think I am for sure going to do all of the carving/burning outside from now on. Ugh what a mess it made in my studio. )c:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to know. I tried my cheapo woodburner and gave up because it would not go through. But I will remember for the detail work.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Jerseyscare. I guess I am expecting it to be easier than it is? When I struggle with a project I first blame the tool then my self. Never knowing what the real problem is. But thank you for the heads up on the hotwire tool.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on hot wire tool. I cannot say enough good things about the fun factory hot wire people. I asked the question and they went above and beyond in answering and in their correspondence. I hope to someday be able to purchase and use their products. But the answer they gave is that it would not work on a Funkin. That being said I found something that worked for me once I got my technique down. See photo's for tool information. I found I had enough control to hold the pumpkins if I did it on the grass with my legs as vices. The other big thing is to use 2 hands on the tool. Brace your hand on the pumpkin (I used my left) and then with the other "draw" lightly as it carves. As you can see I used the same tool for a paper mache, Funkin and natural gourd. It went fast once I got the hang of it. Also You will note I did not stay in the lines as I changed my mind in the middle. (c: fun1.jpg fun2.jpg fun3.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts