Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to build some props with styrofoam (mainly the extruded polystyrene) and I am wondering what the best strong, all weather glue I should use?

Please help!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Last year when I made tombstones out of styrofoam I kept them in the ground by hot gluing them to stakes.

I don't know if this is the best method but it worked for me.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
I use Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive with very good results. Some of my stuff is going on 6 years and holding like new.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,558 Posts
Fantastic! Thanks, I'll pick some up tomorrow and give it a try.
I think you'll like this stuff. Liquid Nails makes adhesives for different applications, even one for foam board, but I had the best results with the Heavy Duty Construction adhesive.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I will 3rd or 4th the Liquid Nails - only to add that I have bought other formulas other than just the Heavy Duty Construction when they are on sale, and they work fine.

Last trip, I even bought some "PL 200 Construction Adhesive" because it was on sale for 99cents a can, and while hubby said he didnt like it (I'm not sure why) it seems to be exactly the same to me - holding up well.

The only thing I would make sure it is for Exterior Applications, and you should be good.

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
I've had success with Gorilla Glue also, but prefer Liquid Nails as previously stated by my bro Jaybo and seconded by his ever present task master bride!:D

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Just another couple cents worth...

Depending on what the glue's going to be exposed to, might dictate what adhesive you'll want to go with.

One thing about Gorilla Glue (and other polyurethane glues) is that it makes a stiff foam - it can be carved and sanded, like a hard foam.
If you're going to be using this where you may have to cut through or carve through the glue layer, I think you'll pull out less hair using Gorilla Glue.

Flip side of that coin is: it doesn't seem to take the elements for more than a season or two, if it's not thoroughly sealed against moisture.
(I've used Gorilla Glue on my countdown sign, without being sealed, and it gave way after 2 seasons of nightly moisture...but the stuff I've had covered with paint is still holding fast, even with similar amounts of exposure)

Liquid Nails is great if moisture will be getting to the glue...and it holds foam together - both the styro as well as the extruded.
Sadly, it's hard to cut and shape...so if it's in the way of your carving, you'll need to work around it.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just another couple cents worth...

Liquid Nails is great if moisture will be getting to the glue...and it holds foam together - both the styro as well as the extruded.

Sadly, it's hard to cut and shape...so if it's in the way of your carving, you'll need to work around it.
Ugly Joe, thanks for the field test knowledge, this is really helpful. What I am hoping to do is create a styrofoam sheet roof for my new, 2009 Cider Shack. The old Cider Shack is build entirely out of lumber and is too heavy to move -- especially with the roof attached. So, I am going to rebuild the Cider Shack with wood sides and posts, but with an ornate, styrofoam rooftop (with a 1x2 support skeleton beneath.)

So, I will be cutting all of the pieces before hand, and then gluing them together. No need to worry about post glue sculpting.

I think the Construction Liquid Nails is the way to go. I'll definitely get at least one tube to experiment with.
:)

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And here is my sketch of how I want to build my new 2009 Cider Shack. The roof section will be build from 1" Expanded Polystyrene foam sheets.

And, for reference, here is the former Cider Shack. I built this three years ago from old fence boards and OSB sheathing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i believe i used the minimal expanding foam "great stuff" and i also added a piece of pvc pipe to the back. then i just put a piece of rebar into the ground and slide the pvc on to the rebar. i'd recommend putting the pvc all the way to the top of the grave stone to make it stronger. i have my pvc running about 1\2 way up the grave stone and it snapped right at the top of the pvc in the wind.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
And here is my sketch of how I want to build my new 2009 Cider Shack. The roof section will be build from 1" Expanded Polystyrene foam sheets.

Shweet!! Yeah, that Hazlewood Manor facade is a real inspiration - that will be a NICE setup for your cider shack.
Are you going to put anything inside the roof, to show through the windows?
Thoughts of moving shadows...or eyes lighting up. Like evil little red eyes glowing out at people through a dusty, clouded, ancient window.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts