Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We used to be able to post polls on this Forum. Oh, well.
I'm going to get into lighting the Graveyard this year. Chilled Fog will be used, quite heavily, I hope. Never having done this before, my question is - What color Lighting should I use?

Red - Great for a Vampire Theme, but we aren't using Vampires
Amber - Reminiscent of Pumpkins, and we will have a few Jacks around the place
Green - I dunno, I think of Aliens when I think of Green
Blue - The color I'm leaning toward, but does it show up well?

I want to give it a generic graveyard effect. What color, if any, was used in "Thriller"?

Anyone who has used this effect, I'd appreciate some advice.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Hi Wolfy. Judging from your avatar, you lean towards the classics. IMHO, nothing says classic better than a cemetery or forest filled with low hanging blue tinged fog.

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Personally I like blue and green also. I have some purple flood lights that I bought a few years ago at BIG LOTS but they haven't carried them in a long time. I think scenes look much better when there's different visual color interest. I don't think you want a monotone look. Also make sure you add background and foreground light sources. I've seen lots of great examples of outdoor light and fog lighting from pics posted here on the forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dungeon

Where's that dark ride at?....Man I wish I could afford my own tracks and cars!...and a bigger space to put it in...etc....ZR
Sorry to get off track.
ZR, the Dungeon is in Oklahoma City
and it's up for sale as listed on this forum
AMUSEMENT DARK RIDE IN BRICKTOWN OKLAHOMA CITY, OK

Again, sorry...
Now back to the graveyard lights :)
I like the multi effect too,
Gives the mind something else to think about

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
IMHO...gotta be blue/green to achieve that classic "misty graveyard" look.

·
Registered
49 Posts
color

hy wolfman !!! you need bleu !! but keep it low to the ground !! and best use in a spot (big canne) to the ground !! crazy wen the fog comes around !!!!

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,436 Posts
I've done blue and green, but not together.......yet.
;)
I just started using the colored floods a couple of years ago. I really love the effects of the strong broad sweep of color.

I also spend a lot of time placing objects and branches for their shadows, but it is worth it. So don't forget about the shadows. The shadow of a scraggly branch across a so-so tombstone is just as effective as an ornate tombstone. Plus the fog mingling with it.
Ahhhhhhhh, so beautiful!

·
Registered
14,567 Posts
Don't overlook maybe using a faint yellow light highlighting tombstones for example. Maybe that takes the form of a lantern at the grave sight.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used green in my graveyard haunt last year and I thought it gave it a very nice touch. I have some pictures, I will post when found.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Definitely blue flood lights with amber accent lights cast from a lantern, fire, candles etc. This is the way to go for a traditional graveyard scene

·
Registered
68 Posts
Also depends on whether you prefer a more "realism" (Hollywood real, anyway lol) or surreal/nightmare atmosphere. Depending on the shape of your tombstones and how stylized or classical they are, you may want to decide based on your display. Your stones and other props may look more Universal Studios or more EC comics; different color choices would better accent one or the other.

·
Wunderfully Wiccaned
541 Posts
my vote is for Yellow and Purple. It seems odd, but It's combination is like the green and Blue and can produce some creeptacular effects if arranged right. I also like how yellow is a fairly bright color, against a dark color like purple... illuminating specific details, but keeping it dark enough to be scary. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just started using the colored floods a couple of years ago. I really love the effects of the strong broad sweep of color.

I also spend a lot of time placing objects and branches for their shadows, but it is worth it. So don't forget about the shadows. The shadow of a scraggly branch across a so-so tombstone is just as effective as an ornate tombstone. Plus the fog mingling with it.
Ahhhhhhhh, so beautiful!
Oh yeah, and what she said /\

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Wolfman, when the newspapers came to shoot pics of our house, they used a combination of red and blue lights. We liked the effect so much that we use it in our cemetery now. The pictures don't do it justice, but you'll get the idea.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,682 Posts
For a really beautiful and classic haunt, blue with pops of amber (think lantern light) - Love Manor is a great example of this (a perfect setup).
Graveyard Front on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I use green, blue and pops of red. I think that green actually looks really good for a graveyard. Not classic, but I like color... :)

My humble little graveyard using green/blue/red color floods:

I had a fogger inside the coffin (sorry for the blurry quality - forgot to take a better pic with no shake)

There was a strand of green lights hidden inside, and the fog had a lovely sickly green glow as it poured out of the coffin.

Fog will look great with blue or green- or really any ambient lighting... but you're fighting the wind and fog output so that shouldn't be the main reason for choosing one color over another. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts