Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some masks at a 50% off sale this year that I want to use in next year's display. What I have in mind is a couple of groundbreakers in my graveyard, and I'd love to get some motion into them too. Head movement, or arms that move, something. I have a vague idea of somehow using a windshield wiper motor, but I'm really open to any ideas.

I've never got motion into a prop before, so I'd love to hear from those who have. What's the best motor to get, and where to get them? Assuming it's a 12v motor, how do you get from house power (120v) to 12v? Is someplace like Overstock.com the best place to look for cheap motors (in a massager, for example), or is Monsterguts.com? The latter seems kind of pricey....

thanks for your help!
Ross

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
I kifed a wiper motor from a "project" vehicle my dad's got laying around in the yard for my Monster in a Box. To convert from 110/120v wall outlet we used my dad's battery charger. Plugs into the wall and has alligator clips on the other side. Clipped it onto the motor.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I've heard for many years that wiper motors are the best. They're quiet, have plenty of torgue, and are small enough to be concealed easily.

You can search the internet and eBay and usually find then for between $10-$15 a pop. You can also go to a "pull-a-part" yard and grab them yourself for about $5 a motor.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Wiper motors are great with plenty of torque and can move just about anything. For power, I've been using old computer power supplies.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I will probably do two based on what I'm hearing -one from a wiper motor to actuate a grounbreaker's arm, and another for a different grounbreaker's head using an oscillating fan motor. Preliminary look at Craigslist in my area indicates there are plenty of oscillating fans in the $10 range, so that's a pleasant surprise!

·
Registered
190 Posts
The cheapest and what I feel is easiest way to get motion for a mask prop would be the leering prop seen here: http://www.my-mania.com/halloween/bmleer.html
or the head popper prop seen here: http://www.my-mania.com/halloween/headpopper.html
He uses a deer motor and a wiper motor but both of these props can be run with this motor: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008063018195822&item=5-1587&catname=
and it's cheap and works well. I've used this motor on 3 head poppers the last 2 years with no issues. As long as you keep the weight within reason you'll be good to go. For the cost they can't be beat and a suggestion to anyone that might use this motor a great way to get the power connected is to find a old computer power supply working or not you only need the connector, the big molex one, that plugs into the motherboard with as much wire on it as you can , then as seen below cut the 2 prongs next to each other off and they fit perfect on this motors power tabs.
So you have this cut it like this and wire up a 12v wall wart and you're good to go.
[][][][][][][][][][]--[]
[][][][][][][][][][]--[]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone have a way to control props with a wiper motor.
Can the switch for the wipers still be used on the motor so the prop doesnt continuously run? Or on the fans motor if you use one.
I like the simplicity of it but dont like that it keeps going.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
both of these props can be run with this motor: http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-1587&catname=
[][][][][][][][][][]--[]
[][][][][][][][][][]--[]
Thanks for the tip! This motor specifies for intermittent duty. Does it heat up, stop, cool down, start again?

The motor is very reasonably priced at $3, but the shipping is $10! Kind of pricey for shipping 1 lb via Fed Ex ground....

·
Registered
288 Posts
motors

I have had some good luck with "reindeer" motors. I went on google and did a search and found a variety for about $10-15. They come with plugs so you are good to go. Another cheap option is grill rotisserie motors. Same thing, on google. I found some small round ones for about $10. It is a good cheap way to start. Then just be creative and of course watch the ideas on this site!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
small motors can do big work

If you make the whole thing a teeter-totter, closely balanced so the small motor just tips the balance creating an imbalance/movement.
I had a homemade tank turret with a long pvc main gun. I used some strong springs to counter weight it inside the relatively small turret. The main "gun" would elevate very surprisingly.
I scared So many tourists standing outside looking at the house with this effect.
The entire machine was a motorcycle- half-track, amphibious tank with a sidecar with the tank turret on top, female legs sticking out from the bottom edge of the turret.
The motating motor was from a toast machine, I guess it pulled a conveyor slowly under the heat

·
Registered
190 Posts
It just runs. I've never had it stop while running except if it's caught on something. Even when I had one do that it didn't burn out. It runs very cool, jut the right RPM for a lot of props and it keeps running for the few hours a night I run them and I know others have used them with success as well. Shipping is high, you really need to buy more than one or get in on some type of group buy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts