Halloween Forum banner

161 - 180 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I hope I don't overstep my bounds and maybe I missed it...not sure. I was wondering if you knew the approximate cost of the entire project.

I would like to make this for this years celebration. However, I'm a poor college student and I'm not sure if I can afford it. What a nice way to meet the new neighbors...lol Should be moving out of my parents house to my own at just the right time. I best start looking for the right dress in the meantime.

·
Hauntless
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
Good question! Let's see (never calculated it before)

Dress: $20
Foam: $30
Wig: $20
Head: $4
Glue: $12
MM: $15
Drylok: $20
Paint: $2
Chicken wire: $5
Drywall tape: $5
Model Magic: $4
Pipe Cleaners: $2
Caulk: $3
Plywood: $4
Moss: $4
Flicker Lights: $10

Okay, lemme get the calculator out... about $160ish. Add some unforseen stuff it would be safe to plan on $200ish.

·
Hauntless
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
The first dress doesn't have a high collar so that could give you some problems attaching the wig head to the body. You could use more material to cover that gap. I like the second one but afraid because the train is plain and not ruffled at all you'd have difficulty having the cascading of the train show up enough. It's beautiful though.

·
Horror off the Highway
1,795 Posts
I've always adored Beloved! Ok I have a really wierd question to ask Terra. I would like to do one but a bit of variation. I have practically zero space for storage. Therefore If I choose to make one she won't be mudded. Is there a way to make this tombstone easy to disassemble for easier storage?

·
Hauntless
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #171 (Edited)
I've always adored Beloved! Ok I have a really weird question to ask Terra. I would like to do one but a bit of variation. I have practically zero space for storage. Therefore If I choose to make one she won't be mudded. Is there a way to make this tombstone easy to disassemble for easier storage?
Well, I would think so. First of all I'd make a smaller version - as small as possible without her looking like a child. Don't think many people realize this but Beloved already isn't that big. Her dress was a size zero I'm guessing. Perhaps it would fit a 14 year-old. I think the stone could be scaled down even more. If that isn't small enough then here's another idea. You could put some thick plastic tarp over the stone and then monster mud the woman over it and let dry. Then, pull her off of the stone and then treat each as a separate stone and then reassemble on Halloween. You could use caulk and more Drylok to seal the seam but still be able to pry her back off.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I actually just started mine yesterday. Took Saturday for planning though, because I too have storage issues. (one of the many reasons this has been on my build list for 4 years). Anyway, we decided to make this in multiple parts. We played last year with using hinges for the ability to break things down. Put hinges on your connections, and pull the pin when it's time to take them apart. Quick together, quick apart. So, we built our side frames yesterday, and I spent a couple of hours making my non-removable pin hinges into removable. Hopefully tonight we'll put it together and start on the actual building. The female form will be mudded as a separate piece that will lay on top of the stone and possibly attach with dowels? We're still working that part out. But we figure she will be the hardest piece to store.

·
Hauntless
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I actually just started mine yesterday. Took Saturday for planning though, because I too have storage issues. (one of the many reasons this has been on my build list for 4 years). Anyway, we decided to make this in multiple parts. We played last year with using hinges for the ability to break things down. Put hinges on your connections, and pull the pin when it's time to take them apart. Quick together, quick apart. So, we built our side frames yesterday, and I spent a couple of hours making my non-removable pin hinges into removable. Hopefully tonight we'll put it together and start on the actual building. The female form will be mudded as a separate piece that will lay on top of the stone and possibly attach with dowels? We're still working that part out. But we figure she will be the hardest piece to store.
Looking forward to what you come up with. This could help a lot of people :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
So, I started mine about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Only have so much time to work on things this year. The curse of a busy life. Anyway, we designed this totally for easier storage. And I think we've actually got a good job going on it. If others are interested, I'll do a sort of tutorial on what we used and how we accomplished this. Anyway, here's my progress.

The stone only. Only one coat of paint on the front and none on the top....
2012-09-07 19.06.42.jpg

The stone with my lady in pose.
2012-09-08 17.32.36.jpg

Closeup
2012-09-08 17.32.55.jpg

5 piece box storage
2012-09-09 22.42.00.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did the monster mudding yesterday. First time ever using the stuff. Kinda cool. The hair....oy. Don't really want to ever do that again. And I think she's going to have dreads. LOL

161 - 180 of 208 Posts