Halloween Forum banner

181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Did the monster mudding yesterday. First time ever using the stuff. Kinda cool. The hair....oy. Don't really want to ever do that again. And I think she's going to have dreads. LOL
That is the toughest part of this build. Halfway through - really needed a drink but was covered in mm and there was no turning back ;)

Just amazing...you are so talented! love it...so sadly romantic
Thank you so much. Would you believe I'm going to graffiti her up tomorrow? Seriously...

·
Registered
94 Posts
To add to it, I used red like an idiot...so I am now attempting to put a coat of black on before I put the Drylok on. Hoping to not have to put 5 coats of Drylok. Also, I'm afraid I did something wrong with the mm. it stiffened the fabric but there is still a lot of flexibility..... Oh, and the painting is almost as bad as the hair. Tedious!

·
Hauntless
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
To add to it, I used red like an idiot...so I am now attempting to put a coat of black on before I put the Drylok on. Hoping to not have to put 5 coats of Drylok. Also, I'm afraid I did something wrong with the mm. it stiffened the fabric but there is still a lot of flexibility..... Oh, and the painting is almost as bad as the hair. Tedious!
The 3 coats of Drylok will really stiffen the fabric up. It won't be like stone but be very strong. Don't skimp on the 3 coats of Drylok.

·
Hauntless
8,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
It hardly weighs anything at all it is just awkwardly shaped. I would say mine weighs under 15 pounds.
Yep, awkward is the word. Hubby thinks my Beloved weighs 30#ish. She's just a PITA to move her around because there's really no good way to pick her up without grabbing onto the dress. Ended up attaching two 1 x 2's on the bottom like it was stretcher handles.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I actually bult mine on top of a piece of wood so she has a solid bottom and it makes her fairly easy to move from here to there :)

·
Registered
216 Posts
My first stone

marc stone 2012sm.jpg Thanks for the tutorial I could not have done it without it. And now I am hooked. Only thing I did different was leave an edge of plywood on the bottom with 4 handles for ease of lifting. I also changed the wording to commemorate my dogs passing and put a leash in her hand. Next time I would leave less of an edge because it was a pain to hide!

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,361 Posts
View attachment 151035 Thanks for the tutorial I could not have done it without it. And now I am hooked. Only thing I did different was leave an edge of plywood on the bottom with 4 handles for ease of lifting. I also changed the wording to commemorate my dogs passing and put a leash in her hand. Next time I would leave less of an edge because it was a pain to hide![/QUOTE

Hallow Ellie13! This is a wonderful adaptation of Terra's "Beloved" stone that we all aspire to create! You really took it to a marvelous new place honoring your pet. I teared up when I saw the leash in her hand. It is so touching. I admit, on cool autumn mornings, when I first gaze out upon our front yard after the "pretend" cemetery is all set up for Halloween, there is often a brief moment where I imagine the whole thing is REALLY a graveyard on my front lawn... Having a stone honoring one of our dearly departed four-legged family members would really tip me over the edge of my imaginings. Your Beloved proves it...

You really did a beautiful job on this! Thanks for sharing...

·
Registered
216 Posts

Hallow Ellie13! This is a wonderful adaptation of Terra's "Beloved" stone that we all aspire to create! You really took it to a marvelous new place honoring your pet. I teared up when I saw the leash in her hand. It is so touching. I admit, on cool autumn mornings, when I first gaze out upon our front yard after the "pretend" cemetery is all set up for Halloween, there is often a brief moment where I imagine the whole thing is REALLY a graveyard on my front lawn... Having a stone honoring one of our dearly departed four-legged family members would really tip me over the edge of my imaginings. Your Beloved proves it...
[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your kind words. At first I felt as if it would be sacrilegious to his memory but then the more I thought about it the more I knew it was my way of honoring my guy. And call me weird but now when I am walking in a graveyard I feel peaceful and makes me think about mortality and when I am reading some of the stones and they say only Mother or Daughter or A Friend (true story in our small town cemetery) I want to know more about who the people were and why no more info. I wish more people could have the beautiful stones like Beloved, it would make visiting them way over the top but after buying 2 for my children I can see how only the wealthy can memorialize that way.

·
🎃 | )ark ( )verlord 🎃
1,092 Posts
I was the first to "like" this post nah naaaa :p :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
monster mud chipping

So, I did the monster mud and it's chipping. I did the wrong color, so iam covering it with black, it's chipping do bad that the black it's coming off too. Does this get better with the Drylok? I don't know what I did wrong! Advice?

·
Super Moderator
5,629 Posts
So, I did the monster mud and it's chipping. I did the wrong color, so iam covering it with black, it's chipping do bad that the black it's coming off too. Does this get better with the Drylok? I don't know what I did wrong! Advice?
I've come across that particular situation in a couple instances with monster mud:

• Using the powdered drywall mud. Don't ask me why, it makes no sense to me, but only the premix stuff seems to work well for Monster mud.
  • Surface that mud will not adhere to. Plastic is sometimes iffy, oily surfaces, non-absorbent surfaces can be iffy in general. So, say, a nylon wig/dress might get problematic.
  • Putting mud on thick in a hot and dry environment can cause the surface to dry too fast and crack, and even flake.
That said, drylock can fill in a lot of cracks.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used the premixed stuff. No clue what the dress is made of. I dunno guess I'll just keep up the tedious job of multiple coats. Waited 4 years to do this and I kind of hate her now. Lol I just keep telling myself that it'll be fine when it's done. But really, I want to run over her with a truck.

181 - 200 of 208 Posts