Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They obviously copied the idea off of here! Was it Terra that made the first one. She should have copyrighted it!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Surprised it took them this long. The first of those was made ages ago by a haunter on the old Halloween-L list...forget her name now. Pretty much everything Spirit or any of those shops puts out starts out as a prop built by a home haunter or is a copy off something at the trade shows..why be original when you can just rip off somebody else's idea, right?

Cheryl

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Laughed when I saw this. It's so tiny - just 20" tall. Back when I made my version I had somewhat followed Haunted Webby's tutorial. Did a little research and I'm thinking that Castle Blood was the very first one to do the bride draping over design on the stone. Do notice that the lady itself looks a lot like my version of the girl. Must have seen a picture ;)

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts
Laughed when I saw this. It's so tiny - just 20" tall. Back when I made my version I had somewhat followed Haunted Webby's tutorial. Did a little research and I'm thinking that Castle Blood was the very first one to do the bride draping over design on the stone. Do notice that the lady itself looks a lot like my version of the girl. Must have seen a picture ;)
yes, I saw on facebook , on Haunter's hangout, people were saying they copied yours!

·
Registered
503 Posts
The size and scale of the GR tombstone is nothing compared to the beauty of Terra's but it would work well with many smaller yards especially if you have several tombstones to fit in. Weeping women draped over grave stones as well as crying angels have been around for hundreds of years - there are several even in our local cemeteries. What's rare is to see a weeping man. For another thread on unique gravestones, I had looked into many styles and found several unique gravestones in the Staglieno Cemetary in Italy. One was of a man weeping ...

Crying man.jpg

However the most unique ones often had children in them. This one of a child playing with a hoop really stood out. When I looked for more photo's of it with more detail, I saw there were actually hands reaching out and it was kind of creepy - like a corpse trying to pull him back into the ground!

Child grave.jpg

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
'ya know, I was half-thinking of getting one because I don't own her anymore. Once I get the Inflatable Hell Horse it would be a complete (recreated) set. LOL!

Here's the picture I think they used:

But they didn't include my improvements on her in '12:

heheheh...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I figured you'd know, Terra. I thought Alice was the original, but I guess that was just the original tutorial to make it to the haunter's list. Yours turned out better than the Alice version, anyway, just IMO. Too funny about the inflatable...you coulda been rich! ;)

Cheryl

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
However the most unique ones often had children in them. This one of a child playing with a hoop really stood out. When I looked for more photo's of it with more detail, I saw there were actually hands reaching out and it was kind of creepy - like a corpse trying to pull him back into the ground!

View attachment 205660
That is tight. Someone really needs to make a similar tombstone, and affordably priced.

I will be the odd one out and say something that many here will probably want to string me up for... I see quite a bit of difference between Grandin Road's tombstone and Terra's (which is stunning). The woman is posed differently, and the stones themselves are nothing alike, particularly with GR's being more of a Victorian design. Plus, like others have said, pretty much all ideas have been done in one form or another and are regurgitations of previous works; similar skeletons and witches, for example, are churned out each year, yet no one thinks to say anything about them being rip-offs of anything that was released prior. I am by no means defending GR's previous, blatant copy of the zombie couple, that is for sure.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... ;-)

The first time i saw Terra's "Beloved" stone I was awe struck. I had no idea that home prop builds had that kind of potential.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts