Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!! I've been a member since late May, might as well call it June. I'm 25, female, 5' 8" or 6' 2" depending on what convenience store I'm walking out of, and LOVE Halloween!
I'm studying to become a meteorologist and will have my bachelors degree this December. My Fiance has his bachelors in Civil Engineering. We have a few pets; Rabbit, bird and gecko and yes they all live happily in the house. The Rabbit runs around like a cat or dog would, while the bird is usually roosting on the ceiling fan.
My fiance and I didn't get serious into the Halloween decorating until two years ago. Out here in Rapid City we got nailed by winter storm Atlas, and it left me with a BUNCH of dead branches in my yard. I used them to create a cocoon around the entry way that year covered with spider webs. People seemed to enjoy it so we decided the next year we had to go bigger. Last year we built two fake walls to enclose the entryway, spattered it with red paint, chopped the ends with an ax, and wound some chains around it. We then built our large spider, Twiggy, to put on top of the entry way roof. After that it was all was wrapped in even more spider webs, and had about 6 more strobe lights added. WE felt like kings in our neighborhood, even the neighbors played along with the spider theme. Despite the crappy weather, the lights and sound drew in 60 more kids than the neighbors.
This year we've moved out of our crappy duplex, and crappy neighborhood, and into a nice house on the good side of town! Everything we made last year is going to be incorporated this year, plus more. People will have to walk under Twiggy's legs to get up to the door. Our new entry way will have the fake walls funneling people around the side and there will be a few zombie surprises waiting in the yard. Luckily we have a great group of friends and we're all going to be zombies this year, so some of my yard "props" will be people.

Enough about what we've done, THANK YOU to this forum for existing! I referenced and researched this sooo much, even when I wasn't a member. Keep doing what your doing everyone!

Happy Halloween!

·
🎃 | )ark ( )verlord 🎃
1,094 Posts

Reactions: Lvbender

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I promised I'd post pictures of my set up this year and here are some. I will take better photos later but for now here are my cell phone photos from last night. We had two friends offer to help set up so things went a lot smoother this year. Twiggy now adorns our yard and as I'd hoped you have to walk under on of his legs to get to the door. The fake walls stop people from seeing the side of the yard, were some people might be hiding to scare them on the way out, and we have the steaks sunk to hold the zombies. There is a zombie behind Twiggy in the photo because we were checking placement.
I even took one of those "ground breaker" skeletons that has just the head, arms and legs, and turn it into a crying child in the corner. Easiest, creepiest prop I've every made, and I'm pretty sure I can stick it all in the box that I'm using for her body.
Overall I'm pretty excited about how its turning out. Two weeks should be long enough to kill off the leaves on the branches I stuck into the fake walls to make it look overgrown.
Next weekend will be spider webbing (I think I need more) and pumpkin carving. We managed to come home with 10 pumpkins (hello pumpkin seeds!) over the weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
90% of my set up this year is in place. The only thing not in place is our two zombies :) Some of the graves and the zombies have glow in the dark pain on them, which it seems its rather difficult to take a picture of. Bought two more strobe lights today because we felt we needed them. tested our light set up last night and it went pretty well. We'll set all of that up saturday due to some rain we might get during the week.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts