Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Wolf/Dog was getting kind of lonely and I was getting kind of antsy to start a prop for 2009. I had been holding off as long as I could, but today I started on animated Owl. I got the basic framework done and the mechanics for the head side to side plus some lights for the eyes. My next step is to make some eye balls and a mechanism so that the eyelids open and close. So far I am pretty happy with how it is going. I have no idea how to "dress" it or cover it as normal people would say. However I have a feeling that is still a long way off. Real feathers would be cool, but any suggestions are greatly welcomed. Oh and thanks to fellow halloweenforum member Calloween, because a picture on his website inspired me to make Owl.

YouTube - Owl 1

·
Registered
594 Posts
I really like it so far, Yard... what material do you plan to make the body out of, like foam or something lighter like batting and fabric?

I will be really interested to see how this one progresses over the season... keep us posted!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really like it so far, Yard... what material do you plan to make the body out of, like foam or something lighter like batting and fabric?

I will be really interested to see how this one progresses over the season... keep us posted!
I basically want to cover the chicken wire in feathers if possible. I need to add more chicken wire to the frame on the bottom. Then add some feet or legs. I have no idea what I will do about the feet. The ears and the wings will be chicken wire as well. So what I need to come up with are ideas for eyes and feet. The eyes will be interesting as well. The red part comes out of the lights I already have in the Owl, so all I really need is something translucent like a lense or a half sphere preferably yellow or brown to put over the eyes.. I am not sure but I think owls have yellow or brown eyes.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ping pong balls for eyes? Wire wrapped in tape and painted for feet?

I really like this, especially the way the head spins back quickly!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Yard, that owl looks great so far. I can't wait to see how he comes together. Then you'll have to decide "whoooooo" he is....he'll need to have a name. Do I foresee a naming contest coming?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
The owl is looking good, YardHaunt!! That'd be cool if his head could spin all the way around too.
Just don't make it sing "Who can it be now?" like the one I got from Lowe's does. Sheesh.....

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The owl is looking good, YardHaunt!! That'd be cool if his head could spin all the way around too.
Just don't make it sing "Who can it be now?" like the one I got from Lowe's does. Sheesh.....
See now you are just putting ideas in my head. But, I think if I did that I would have him sing Who are you? Who who? Who who? Ha The Who! :D

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sure thing.

O and the one that I have also had a motor that made it lean forward a
bit.
Yeah when my dad saw mine he mentioned the head should move up and down or the whole bird should stand up or something. I think first I will try and make the eyelid mechanism so that they open and close. Then I might make him(or her, I haven't decided yet) do something else. It might not be too hard to add a pivot point when I put the legs on. Then I could have it rock back and forth at the hips, but like I said I have a lot to do before I get to that point. Plus I am getting busy with my "REAL" work again, so that will limit my time to make props. :( But, because I am busy working again I did get two more ice maker motors. :D Now I just need to learn more about heat syncs so that I can use them!

·
Macho Nacho
859 Posts
Yeah when my dad saw mine he mentioned the head should move up and down or the whole bird should stand up or something. I think first I will try and make the eyelid mechanism so that they open and close. Then I might make him(or her, I haven't decided yet) do something else. It might not be too hard to add a pivot point when I put the legs on. Then I could have it rock back and forth at the hips, but like I said I have a lot to do before I get to that point. Plus I am getting busy with my "REAL" work again, so that will limit my time to make props. :( But, because I am busy working again I did get two more ice maker motors. :D Now I just need to learn more about heat syncs so that I can use them!
Ice cream machines have heat syncs?

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I looked at some owl pictures(you would think I would do that first) and I noticed that owls sit kind of leaning forward and their head is straight up and down. I had always pictured their bodies being straight up and down as well but it looks like they aren't.

So you kind of have to use your imagination on this one, but I did a little modification to Owl already. If you look in the picture I took off the front piece(that is in the left side of the pic) and cut the frame at an angle and then reattached it so the chest is leaning forward now. I think it gives it a little more of a realistic look. I know the back(that is in the right of the pic) won't really be seen, but I might bend the chicken wire at the top inwards more and round off the corners of the wood frame like I did on the front. I cant cut the frame in the back on an angle like I did on the front, because the mechanism that turns the head needs that room in the back to move.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ice cream machines have heat syncs?
The motors I got are out of refrigerators not ice cream makers. The motors that twirl the ice out of automatic ice makers in the fridge door. They are great motors. They have lots of torque and slow rpms(they have built in gear boxes), the only problem is they shut of sporadically when they get hot because they have a thermo coupler. Someone told me that I can solve that problem by adding a heat sync.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I figure how to put the heat snycs on the ice maker motors myself maybe I will start selling them. I have quite a few and I will surely get more so I could sell them cheap. They are great motors. They are a lot like wiper motors but you don't need an adapter. Very similar torque and rpm's. I used one in my Jail Jumper guy but you definitely could use them in anything that uses a wiper motor. I wish I could find the video.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts