Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am new to the Halloween Forum - I've been lurking for about a week now and gathering up some great ideas. This site has been unbelievably helpful for planning my Halloween party. I can't believe all the talent on this forum! Wish I had discovered it a long time ago.

We are planning on having a beer pong tournament at our party (following a suggestion by someone on this forum). I was hoping someone might have some suggestions for how we can organize it? I thought I might have a sign up sheet at the beginning of the party for those who want to play (we have about 50 people at our parties) and then a designated time, maybe 1-2 hours into the party for the tourney to start in the garage. This way people can still eat, drink, and mingle until it's their turn. Any ideas for how I can schedule certain "matches"? As you can tell, I'm not very savvy in the sports department. haha!

·
Registered
242 Posts
That sounds like a good idea to me. We've had beer pong tournaments at some of our parties in the past. My husband is a sports fanatic so luckily I've had him to create the brackets for us. Maybe you could google something like "single elimination tournament bracket" to find a bracket template that you could use at your party.

Here is a link that might help. I would make a large poster board size bracket that you can put up on the wall near the beer pong table.

http://www.printyourbrackets.com/10teamsingleelimination.html

You could have guests sign up in teams of 2 or as singles & then you could match up the singles once everyone has signed up. I would designate a certain time as the deadline for signups & I would make an announcement about 10 minutes before the deadline to let people know that they have a limited amount of time left to sign up if they want to be involved. If you have an odd number of teams, you could give the 1st team to sign up a bi for the first round.

As far as scheduling matches goes, you never know how long each one will take so you won't be able to put times on the bracket. You could ask that each team track down the players for the next match after their current game is finished....this will keep things moving since you probably won't be around to orchestrate it the whole time.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Everyone plays beer pong by different rules. You may want to post your "house" rules to avoid disagreements.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I definitely second posting the house rules somewhere. There are so many different ways to play and some people (especially if they've been drinking already) can get pretty passionate about the "right" way to play. I would also have a consistent ref to call on those random rules and situations that come up only occasionally.

Also, beer pong tournaments can last several hours, so keep that in mind when you determine when to start it. Our group of friends plays a lot, so we're fairly good, and even still a small tournament with 8 teams can take more than two hours especially when overtime is involved. If you have two inexperienced teams playing each other those games go on FOREVER.

·
crossfit zombie
7,478 Posts
We did beer pong last year however it was without actual beer because minors were doing it.They still had a ball and some of the adults did play with beer.My son and his gf made a table that was painted like bumble bee in the transformers movie.
Her brother made a table that had chasing lights he sold it for 5000.00.It was real cool.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I've only played beer pong casually and had no idea it could be complicated. Sounds like I better do a little research. You guys probably saved my party by suggesting I post house rules - I have some VERY competitive friends who can get quite loud about the "fairness" of this or that point. I also had no idea about the time involved in playing. I'm guessing we might want to adapt the game to move a little quicker. Also, while I realize it is a drinking game, I'm not crazy about players getting completely bombed (tipsy yes; barfing drunk no) so shortening it may help with that as well.
Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also going to try a beer pong tournament. We've decided to play in the dark garage with only a black light...paint the table and cups in blacklight reactive paint. Just a twist to something that has been done alot at our past parties. We might even setup the smoke machine to add to the difficulty....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOVE the smoke machine idea! I thought about doing the black light play but was afraid one of my clumsy drunk friends might fall and hurt themselves. We'll see though...it would definitely add to the Halloween atmosphere (the black light, not the falling :D ). Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts