Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally ahead of the game enough this year to purchase some beef netting for my spiderwebs. I went to the site and saw that they now have two different varieties. I was wondering if anyone had used them both and had a preference for making spiderwebs? image.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
My outdoor haunt will be Arachnophobia this year. I think i need to get some of this. I have never used it but I hate how everything gets caught in the thin fiber webs. I will be following this thread

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had the same question. The polyester seems great, because you get more length per pound. And I'm thinking it might hold up better in inclement weather. But, I did intend on soaking the beef netting in RIT whitener to help it fluoresce under black light. I'm sure the cotton blend would respond better to that. But the whitener instructions say that it works on polyester too. Just not sure I believe that. Maybe I'll buy one of each to compare.

Any one else have thoughts on which netting to go with?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ordered a 10lb roll of the polyester 2040-54, and had enough to do my entire front yard with half remaining. The quality is great. I can't say which would be better for staining with RIT, but I tried staining some of the polyester version and it worked fine. Overall, it's a great quality product that I would order again if I ever run out. Which probably won't happen, since I'm reusing from last year.

image.jpg

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
No idea, I still have a bunch from my 5 pound roll I purchased for last year. I am interested to see what the improvement is over the original kind I have? I think either way you can't go wrong, I loved the webs we put up last year. I did not use Rit on mine and glowed pretty well.

·
Registered
342 Posts
JaCk and Trex - thank you for the very helpful information. There was a previous post questioning if the polyester kind would run, but based on your picture, JaCk, that does not appear to be an issue. And Trex - good to know I don't have to go through the whole whitening process! People had mentioned the material was an off white, so I thought to get that kind of glow I would need to whiten. I'm sure it won't hurt if I try it on a few sections. I'll report back!

How did you attach webbing to the wood porch columns? My husband isn't too keen on lots of holes in the house. I was looking at trying to attach to gutter and shingles with clips, but not sure how to avoid a few holes in the wood siding.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Another question - how did the netting hold up in rain? Any experience with that? Just wondering how early I should put the webs up. If they can withstand some wind and rain, I'll probably try to do it the weekend before Halloween. Late October is usually when the weather starts to turn here, with an occasional light rain.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I'm interested in using some of this stuff. I'm getting tired of the fake spider webbing in the bag that ends up just being a leaf collector the whole month of October.
Question: Do you hang it up, then cut the holes? Or cut the holes before hanging?

Thanks!

If anybody wants to go in "halvsies" on a five pound roll, let me know! :)

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I'm interested in using some of this stuff. I'm getting tired of the fake spider webbing in the bag that ends up just being a leaf collector the whole month of October.
Question: Do you hang it up, then cut the holes? Or cut the holes before hanging?

Thanks!
Hey doll! There is more of an art to cutting them than you think. LOL I have not mastered it at all yet. I made kind of a frame in one of my patio doors with cuphooks. Cut a piece and stretched it out in the frame, then stabbed at it with an exacto knife. Then take the pieces outside and stretch them out on my hedges.
It really takes some practice. LOL Driving me crazy, yet I am determined to figure this out!!
I am sure you will figure this out in no time with your skillz. ;)

1 (3).jpg

EDIT: Hey doll?!?! hahahaha Hey Dave!! Wow. I was getting cozy there! LOL

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Ha, Hilda I know it takes some practice for sure! I ruined a couple of pieces. You have to stretch it as taut as possible and then cut! I stretched and cut mine in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just ordered some today too. It cost more for shipping than the actual netting. Really excited about trying it out though. Should go good with the giant spider I made last year.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
Ha-ha! Doll? well, I am full of stuffing......:) You could have just blamed it on auto-correct.

Thanks for the cutting tips, Hilda! Yours looks really good on the bushes. Maybe I'll need the whole roll after all just to have enough to practice with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts